Yoga and Aging

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Robin

Yoga and Aging

Post by Robin »

I would like thoughts on yoga and aging. I am a 61 year old woman and am strong. I have an active job so I rarely sit still. I have been doing yoga for 2 1/2 years and do a combination of Iyengar and Yin. HOWEVER, I am having a hard time with the active flows when I do try them. It seems I don't have enough stamina to make it through an hour of intense yoga. Any suggestions? Should I just perservere and or are there some strengthening asanas that I should concentrate on? My goal is to be able to do the complete Dragon Dance. Any helpful suggestions?
Bernie

Building Endurance and Stamina

Post by Bernie »

Hi Robin and welcome to the Forum. While this is a Yin Yoga forum, and your question revolves around how to develop more yang stamina, it is a good question, so I will take a stab at offering some thoughts.

Like you, I too notice that I am getting older! I don’t have the abilities to do what I once did with ease, but that doesn’t mean we can’t maintain a good deal of stamina and endurance as we gracefully age. I believe there are 3 keys to growing old fit and hale: flexibility, strength and endurance. Yin Yoga certainly is my key to maintaining flexibility, but I also rely on resistance training to maintain my strength and other aerobic activities to maintain stamina.

These days I rely both on my yang yoga practice and weight training to maintain strength. In my yang practice I work with down dog, planks, pushups and handstands to build upper body strength but I also swing kettle bells. As we work with weights (both our body weight and free weights) our muscles release various hormones and chemical messengers, like growth hormones, that help all our tissues stay young and vibrant. We need weight training, especially in the upper body, as we age. It also helps the heart.

For stamina, I do sprints as well as my active vinyasas yoga practice. I love the way Dr John Douillard explains the benefits of sprinting in his video Be Calm, Fit and Lose Weight in 12 Minutes. He notes that it is more natural for us to sprint than to run long distances at a time. His method is to sprint (or jog, or just walk fast --- depending on what you can do) for 1 minute maximum, then walk for 2 minutes, then repeat this 3 more times. That will be 4 sprints in 12 minutes. It certainly works for me, and you might find it magic too.

Good luck!
Bernie
Robin

Thank You!

Post by Robin »

I do realize it's not completely a Yin question but you have impacted me so much as a teacher that I was curious as to how you maintain your stamina. I actually have not exercised much in my life but, after my work in the hospital, I see that strength is vital as we age.

I so love Yin Yoga and will begin some other type of strength training to supplement, as well as doing some Yang.

Thanks for your contribution to the Yoga community!
IraNierman

Post by IraNierman »

This was helpful to me as well, as I am 64 am having similar issues. Thank you for sharing!
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Thanks for sharing this.
I do yoga for almost six years now, yin and yang.
Before yoga I ran. A lot. Marathons, almost always loooong distances, for three or four times a week.
Additionally, floor work to strenghthen butt, belly, legs, and arms.
Now with yoga, I feel more fit then before.
I do no not like to run distances anymore, feeling how it stiffens my muscles.
So your suggestion, Bernie is an interesting one, which I certainly going to try. Short sprints combined with recovery time. Like an interval training to maintain my heart's condition, endurance.
As important as endurance is your spirit.
Life does not stop at 50,60,70...
Keeping your spirit at any age!
I am 53 myself and still practicing handstand. How nice would it be if I can do it when I am 80 years old:)
Keep your spirit up older yogi's!
Namaste,
Renée