when to practice Yin

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
DanH

when to practice Yin

Post by DanH »

very new to Yin
very old to Ashtanga
love Yin, but don't know when to practice it
I practice Ashtanga an hour and a half every morning, except for Saturdays and Moon Days
should I skip a few Ashtanga sessions and replace them with Yin sessions, or should I double up making a rather long practice day, or what.
please advise how i might schedual...
cheers
daniel
Bernie

Ashtanga and Yin Yoga

Post by Bernie »

Hi Daniel

I too came to yin yoga after a long time doing Ashtanga. I loved the Ashtanga practice, but after several years, and hitting 50, I found myself unable to continue the pace. Yin yoga came along just in time, but ironically, yin yoga also helped my Ashtanga practice: it made me more flexible and able to do postures I wasn’t able to do before. But, the real value was bringing balance.

What should you do? It depends upon your intentions. For me, at 63 now, I no longer seek to do more asanas, or do them better: I am content to maintain health and regain it after a cold or sickness. My practice physically has 3 intentions: strength (or stability) via resistance training (swinging kettle bells and vinyasa yoga); endurance via running sprints; and mobility via my Yin Yoga practice, which I do right after my sprints. So, one day is strength/vinyasa practice, the next day is endurance and mobility. One day a week my only practice is meditation (which I do every day in the morning.) Will this work for you? I don’t know.

Again, it will depend upon your intentions, how much time you have to invest in asana, and what else is going on in your life at the moment. I would suggest you take some to really ask yourself “Why am I doing yoga?” Let your answer guide your plan.

Here are a few other threads on the Forum that may be interesting to you:

Ashtanga and yin yoga
Frequency of Practice and Recovery Time
Doing yin yoga in a heated room
Hot Yin?

Cheers
Bernie
DanH

Post by DanH »

Thank You Bernie,

I turned 71 about a week ago and yes I've been asking myself the big questions and surprisingly, actually coming up with some answers. I believe it was Desikachar writing about his father's practice transforming as he aged that has had the biggest influence on me, and how happy I am that I stumbled across Yin recently. Meditation, Qigong, Tai Chi, Taoest and Buddhist science along with Hath Yoga have been a large part of my life and to know there is the ability to adjust, as well as people available to advise me as I make the adjustments, is very encouraging.
I'll definitely follow the links and I thank you for taking the time...

And the beat goes on...

Daniel
www.imdb.com/name/nm0356358/