What/why do we stretch in a Yang practice?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Anna Grace

What/why do we stretch in a Yang practice?

Post by Anna Grace »

Hello everyone,

When we create stretch in a yang practice are we stretching connective tissue?

If so why is this effective and/or safe given that the connective tissue is 'plastic'? For example I have had doubts about the benefits of undulating between parsvottanasana and dragon and coming in and out of forward folds and DFDs since practicing yin.

Thank you for the amazing insights and resources to yin yoga and really just yoga and life that you give Bernie. Reading and continuing to read your book and website significantly changed my life for the better and continues to.

Yours,

Anna
Bernie

Stretch versus stress

Post by Bernie »

Hi Anna

Part of the confusion in this whole area is an imprecision that us yoga teachers use in our vocabulary when we teach: we say “stretch” a lot, just as you did in your question. “ Are we stretching connective tissue?" A better term to adopt is “stress”. In our yoga asana practice we create stresses within the body: sometimes these stresses result in a stretch, but not always. While we do want to generate stresses, we do not necessarily always want to generate a stretch. Muscles can be stressed with 3 consequences: they elongate (called eccentric lengthening…they are trying to contract but they get longer); they shorten (called concentric contraction); or they stay the same length (called isometric contraction). In all 3 cases, the muscles are being stressed, but they are not always stretching.

A similar thing happens in our connective tissues: we stress them in yoga. That is good! (Although, of course, you can do too much stressing and that would be bad.) Every material has an initial state where with the first signs of stress, they have a little give and lengthen a tiny bit, but then any slack is quickly used up and they may not stretch at all, until the stress levels become much higher. If the stress remains below that critical threshold, but is maintained for time, something called creep can start to occur. (I have written about stress and creep here.) If the stress exceeds this threshold, the material will become plastic and will stretch, but it may not return to its original length…but it might! It depends upon the material, the level of stress and the time the stress was held for.

So, you can see that saying “stretch” is not a great word: let’s say we create a stress in a yang practice—which is true. Are we stressing connective tissues? Definitely, and this can be good. Tendons need stress!Whenever you stress a muscles, you can’t help but also stress the tendon. Do you intend to stretch the tendon. No. Nor do we intend to stretch other connective tissues. We do intend to stress them, however. In time, they may become longer as the body remodels the tissues to accommodate the ongoing stresses we create. That is a healthy adaptation response. But in any one yoga session, we are not trying to stretch the connective tissues…we are trying to stress them.

[Technical note: there are some connective tissues, like our ligament flavum in the spine, that are quite elastic. These will stretch with any stress, but they don't stretch as much as our muscles. So, we can't always say we never want our connective tissues to stretch under a stress...always is always wrong, and never is never right!]

I hope this helps! I do encourage you to read the article on creep: it talks to this question more deeply.
Cheers
Bernie