yin mid morning?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
poppyjack

yin mid morning?

Post by poppyjack »

Hi Bernie,

I am teaching 1/2 a dozen yin classes per week and I have a 9.30am class along with late afternoon and evening classes.

I know early morning is good time to practice but how about later morning? Does it matter what time of day we're practicing? My intention would be to get the energy moving but at the same time allowing for slowing the mind and relaxation. Just a little unsure on how to approach it.

Many thanks.
Elizabeth
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

This is a classic question: when is the best time to do Yin Yoga. There is no one right answer to this. There is a section in my books on this, and you may want to read this YinSights section. But in general, there is value in doing Yin Yoga at any time, it just has different value depending upon when in the day you do it.

First thing in the morning is ideal physiologically because the muscles are cold and more of the stress of the postures soak into the deeper tissues. Later in the day can be ideal too because of the meditative, quietening benefits. In the middle of the day, it can be good due to the energetic qualities of the practice. You can create themes for each practice depending upon when you offer it: for mid-morning or afternoon, perhaps focus on sensations and the energetic qualities.

Cheers
Bernie
poppyjack

Post by poppyjack »

Thanks so much Bernie, appreciate it!