Over did it?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
DanH

Over did it?

Post by DanH »

Hey Bernie,
I may have taken something too literal when I understood it was best to do Yin cold, rather than warmed up.
Before my Ashtanga practice I have learned to do a 15 minute warm up to help prevent injury, especially to the lower back because of all the up-dogs. So when I heard it was most effective to do Yin before body, muscles, and all, warmup, I jumped right in cold. Well after 10 days of everyday non-warmed up Yin, I can't get out of bed due to lower back issues. Having had these problems in the past, I know how how to recover from it, I also know how to prevent the problem from occurring, however if warm-ups in Yin are not suggested??? you get my drift... I think I know the answer to my delima, but since I'm so new to this particular yoga style, I feel I need an authoritative opinion.
Please advise...
As always, thank you for everything you do,
Cheers,
Daniel
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

If a doctor suggest taking 2 aspirin, he doesn't want you to take the whole bottle. ;-)

Don't take "being cold" too literally. You can even do Hot Yin (as described in this article. While we want the muscles to be relaxed and not too warmed up, for some people, the only way they will get into the pose is being warmed up.

When is the best time to do Yin Yoga? There is no one right answer. Here is a section of YinSights on this topic.

I am glad you know how to modify your practice. Make sure it is YOUR practice, regardless of what is written somewhere.

Cheers
Bernie
DanH

Post by DanH »

Right on...