yin vs iyengar/timer

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
DanH

yin vs iyengar/timer

Post by DanH »

good morning bernie,

bet you're getting tired of hearing from me, as soon as i settle, i'll slow way down, i promise...

two questions:

how would you describe the difference between Iyengar and Yin? at this point they seem very similar to me.

and

when practicing yin without video or cd, what sort of timer works best for five minutes multiple starts and stops through out a flow? what works best without having to reset after each asana and distracting from the flow?

cheers,

daniel
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

First: for a timer, please read this thread

Second: Iyengar Yoga has both yin and yang elements. He often recommended long held static postures (ie: he recommends supta virasana be held for 10 minutes or more...see his Light on Yoga), but of course he also did very yang like postures too, which were very muscular. So, Iyengar Yoga is not "Yin Yoga" but it has yin elements. Yin Yoga is basically long held, static stresses with the muscles relaxed.

Cheers
Bernie
DanH

Post by DanH »

Thanks 🙏