Yang after yin practice

Please use this forum for asking questions or offering comments arising from the 50-Hour Online Yin Yoga Teacher Training conducted by Bernie Clark, Diana Batts and Yoga International.
Cristina108

Yang after yin practice

Post by Cristina108 »

:D Hi everyone. I have just started the course and I love it so far but I have some questions about safe practice. I usually try to do one yin practice and one Yang practice a day and now I’m questioning how close together they should be. Would it be safe enough to wait two hours after a yin practice to do a yang practice. Should I wait longer or should I just wait and do my yin practice at the end of the day, that way I can do all my Yang exercises first and ensure safety. I know I would be compromising some of the yin benefits - but I don’t know what else to do? I’ve just read everything about fragility and creep and I’m concerned.
Bernie

Re: Yang after yin practice

Post by Bernie »

Hello Cristina

How do you feel? I could generalize and say that you should wait after doing a yin practice before doing a yang practice exactly 95 minutes, but that is pure speculation. How long it takes your body to recover from any creep created in your practice is specific to you, and what you did and how long you did it. You are the one to answer that question and you can answer it based whatever degree of fragility you sense you still have. If you feel you would be at risk of hurting yourself, then wait longer.

Having said all that, remember you can reduce creep in a number of ways: time, certainly, is one way but it is not the only way. You can move the body in the opposite direction. You can do some yang work to stiffen the area just targeted for elongation. During the course you will do some spinal yang work after a long yin session targeting the spine, and you will do some yang counterposes for the hips after a long hip yin session. These yang practices, done right after the yin work, are designed not to create more range of motion but to strengthen and stiffen the targeted areas, helping to reduce any residual creep.

I think as you work your way through the course, the answer to your question will be presented. If you are still confused by the end of the training, please write back!

Cheers
Bernie