Getting Started

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
AndrewB

Getting Started

Post by AndrewB »

Hello Everyone: I am wondering how to get started. I'm in my late 40's - run 3 times a week for about 30 - 40 minutes depending on how I feel. I stand all day - having abandoned my desk 12 months ago. I consider myself inflexible - no pain in the back or shoulders, but tight hips, thighs and hamstrings. I do no joga presently.

It seems like I could practise Yin Yoga all day long - unfortunately I don't have all day - but would like to make a start. Are there some suggestions for a program that could be executed in say 30 minutes. Since I work from home, I can well managed 2 or 3 sessions a day.

Andrew
Bernie

Beginning a Yin Yoga practice

Post by Bernie »

Welcome to the board and welcome aboard the Yin Yoga train. No ticket necessary, just hop in and begin. I would recommend a few pre-reading assignments, however, before you start. From the book YinSights, read the section on Beginning The Practice and then try the Beginner's Flows.

Take it easy at first and don't force long holds in the pose. Listen to your body and note any discomfort that lasts after the practice or which arise the day after. These may be signals that you are going too deep in the pose or staying too long. You didn't get stiff overnight and you won't heal and open quickly either. Give it time.

Once you have done the beginner's flows, you may want to try the shorter sequences on the YouTube Yin Yoga Channel. There are a few 30 minute sequences you can try out.

good luck!
Bernie
AndrewB

Post by AndrewB »

Thank you for your helpful reply. I have taken the time to do the pre-reading assignments and have been taking it easy.

I notice that some areas of my body respond more quickly than others - and I tend to spend more time in those poses that I find easier. I sense a need for discipline to do some of those things that are not so easy.

So far so good - actually so far - great :!: