herniated discs

There are often many questions about Yin Yoga and specific spinal conditions. Feel free to ask your question here, or check out other posts or contribute input from your own experience.
Frank

herniated discs

Post by Frank »

Hello all,
I've been re-reading my manual from my 200 hr ytt and came across the section on different types of postures. Twists, forward bends, etc. In the part for twists it reads that herniated discs are contraindicated for these. I've been to a couple of websites that didn't list twists at all good or bad and one site that says that twists are good as long as they are gentle and don't go too far.
In the vein of assuring my students get accurate, and safe info from me would anyone be able to clear up whether forward bends, back extensions, and twists are adivseable for someone with a herniated disc?
I understand that each situation is different, but I would also like to feel more comfortable about the info I'm giving the student if the issue comes up. Thank you and be well. Frank.
Bernie

Twists and herniated disks

Post by Bernie »

Hi Frank

This topic was reviewed, in part, a little while ago in another post about bulging disks. You may want to refer back to that discussion: http://www.yinyoga.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=366.

You are correct that twists can be contra-indicated for herniated disks. As described in YinSights, yoga really does one of three things to our tissues: we either stretch tissues, compress them, or shear them (which is actually a combination of stretch and compress). Shearing happens in twists. If you look at the link to the picture of the spine in the previous post that shows a herniated disk, you can easily picture what will happen to that disk when you twist. Not good.

A good rule of thumb for anyone with bulging or herniated disks is to be very careful with any back movements. They should be listening carefully to the advise of their health care provider who will know their body far better than a yoga teacher will, unless the yoga teacher is teaching a private class.

cheers
Bernie
Bernie

New hope for people with severely degenerated discs

Post by Bernie »

This article comes from Science and offers some hope for people who have lower back problems caused by degenerating discs. The idea is to replace the disc with an artificial one that acts like a scaffold upon which new collagen can grow. The artificial disc grows stronger over time, unlike previous attempts.

In the Battle to Relieve Back Aches, Researchers Create Bioengineered Spinal Disc Implants
Renee

recovering from hernia

Post by Renee »

I would like to hear of people with 'after-hernia', and doing yin or/and yang yoga, to strengthen the back again. What did you experience ? Can yoga contribute to the recovery of a torn discs?
Or will it always be a weaker link?
Thank you.
Renée