yin yoga for asthma

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
carrierejohn

yin yoga for asthma

Post by carrierejohn »

I have both asthma and mild exercise induced asthma and was wondering what yin yoga poses help with asthma?
Bernie

Yin Yoga and asthma

Post by Bernie »

I know of no medical studies that have shown Yin Yoga to be helpful with asthma but there is anecdotal evidence that yoga in general can assist with this condition. There are lots of articles on this topic and some of them were written by people with the condition. Check out this really good article in Yoga Journal, for example.

From an Eastern point of view, asthma has been treated through acupuncture treatments, although there is conflicting evidence from clinical studies as to whether this really works or not. One web site does offer several resources that you may want to look into deeper, but it is rather technical and I would suggest that if you really want to investigate a TCM solution to seek out a professional acupuncturist or TCM doctor. The common TCM treatments do seem to focus on the upper back acupuncture points. You may try experimenting with using acupressure via your Yin Yoga practice to stimulate these points: Anahatasana, Frog, Sphinx, Seal, Saddle and Swan as well as the flexion poses of Butterfly and Caterpillar.

More substantive (ie measurable) benefit has been claimed through regulating and retraining your breath (see the Yoga Journal article again and then read the Yin-side of Breathing posted in my Newsletter #5.) The work of Dr. Gay Hendricks, author of Conscious Breathing might be the best overall resource you can find and he does mention yoga several times. What you can do is adopt his breath-work exercises while you are in your Yin Yoga postures. Why not do the above upper back Yin Yoga poses while working with the breath: lengthening and easing the effort you breathe with.

I hope some of this helps. Let us know how it goes.
Cheers
Bernie
carrierejohn

Post by carrierejohn »

What about using pranayama exercises do you think that might help
Bernie

Pranayama for Asthma

Post by Bernie »

Yes ... that was my point: If you check out the book Conscious Breathing by Dr. Gay Hendricks it is all about pranayama, he just doesn't call it that. Plus the link to the Yoga Journal article also discusses pranayama in depth, both the types to avoid and the ones to use. It is a great article and I highly recommend it.

Cheers
Bernie
carrierejohn

Post by carrierejohn »

Thanks I'll read the article on yoga journal's website and see if I can get the book. I'll let you know about my progress.