Yin and Yang and the trapezius

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
Polster

Yin and Yang and the trapezius

Post by Polster »

Hi,
I practice and teach power vinyasa and I'm learning quickly how much need yin!

I have a very tight upper back from sitting at a desk and my body worker said she noticed that I, as well as the other practioners of power vinyasa that she sees have what she calls "messy traps" because the trapezius is used so much in the vinyasa it gets almost stuck and bound up.

I can't quite figure out any yin poses to strech it out. Rounding my back and pulling my arms forward or to the side (by clasping wrists and hands) feels good but it is not easy to hold and even that feels somewhat yang.

Any ideas?
Bernie

Upper body Yin

Post by Bernie »

Have you read Newsletter #6 that offered Upper Body Yin Yoga poses? You might want to check this out. You will find some yin ways to work the neck, arms, wrists and shoulders.

For the traps, it sounds like you are overly adducted and need some abduction. Eagle Arms while marinating in Shoelace may be just the thing. See the newsletter for some pictures of how to do this and let us know if it works for you.

Cheers
Bernie