dedicating my practice to a greater purpose. Really?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
orange blossom

dedicating my practice to a greater purpose. Really?

Post by orange blossom »

Hello, I’m new to the forum.

I was reading the “Beginning the Practice” section in Yinsights about setting intention. Very Nice reminder. Setting an intention for my practice is something I sometimes do… than it becomes habit and seems to lose some of its power, than it becomes less felt and just done for the doing... than it may drop away completely even… and then I’m reminded of it again… like here…. and again it feels powerful and important… and I renew my intention to inquire anew and set an appropriate intention for myself and my practice.

My intentions vary over time. At times my focus may be more physical, mental, emotional or even spiritual… What I don’t seem to understand or resonate with the is the concept
“we can set an intention beyond our own benefit. …[that] we can dedicate our efforts to a greater purpose than ourselves.”

How does that work? Can anyone speak to this? I consider myself compassionate, caring, giving, etc.. but not so spiritually enlightened. This concept feels empty to me… hollow even, meaningless. I don't seem to get it.... how can my practice be supportive of a greater good??

How do I bring this to life? Any thoughts around this? I’d love you hear.

Namaste and Thank You
Bernie

Giving up the benefits of your practice to a greater good

Post by Bernie »

Interesting question: how can dedicating or offering my practice to someone or something else help that other person?

If you believe in a purely Newtonian world, it probably can't. I am here and that person is over there, so how can what I do affect that person way over there? However, the universe is much stranger and more wonderful than Newton ever imagined. Let's try to look at some possible models that may explain how this could work.

First - there is the time honoured practice of prayer. Orange Blossom, you say that you consider yourself a compassionate person - have you ever prayed for someone else? If so, why? How could you affect that other person simply by thinking of him or her? And yet, prayer is a powerful practice in all the wisdom traditions and there are many anecdotal stories of how useful it is. Is there any scientific proof that prayer works? Well, curiously enough, there are some studies that show praying for someone can affect him, but not always in the way we intend.

[One 2006 study looked at whether having a group of people pray for someone who is sick would really help that person: they looked at cases where the people who were sick knew and cases where the patients didn't know that they were being prayed for. Those that knew they were getting prayers sent their way actually were worse those those who didn't know. Those who didn't know but were prayed for, did no better than a group who were not prayed for.]

Think of any of the recent horrific calamities: the earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan or Indonesia where 10,000s of people died. Did you think about them, wish them well in your heart or in any other way pray for them? Why?

In the Buddhist tradition monks and nuns will spend many hours practicing Metta Meditations - sending loving kindness to others. Anne Cushman has written well about this and you may want to read her article on how you can invoke metta in your yoga practice.

Secondly, let's think about a possible (but I am not saying plausible) model that could explain how we can affect someone far away from us. Through a mysterious process called quantum entanglement, two photons can be connected across distances as wide as the universe, and yet when something is done to one photon, the other photon instantly reacts as well. There is no Newtonian way to explain this, but it has been proven to occur. Maybe we are all entangled in some mysterious way that has not yet been discovered. Many people believe they have experienced this spooky action at a distance.

Thirdly: even if you can't convince yourself that you are truly affecting someone else, you are affecting yourself. That may not be your intent, and if it was your intent, it may cancel out your dedication because you are now no longer offering the gifts of the practice to someone else, but in a sly, sneaky way, offering them back to yourself. But! Scientist studying the brains of the above mentioned Buddhist metta mediators have seen distinct differences in their brains compared to non-metta meditators. These people are truly happier than the average person.

Finally: like the Buddha once said - "put no head above your own". Try it and see for yourself! See if offering the benefits to someone else makes a difference, both in your own practice and life and in the other person's life. As long as you see any positive difference, it is all good. And perhaps, even if you only improve your own life, that alone will touch many other people positively as well.

Cheers
Bernie
orange blossom

It's all about prayer.

Post by orange blossom »

Dear Bernie, Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Lots of interesting information to digest and even something to amuse. (also, a little “brain yoga” as I stretch my understanding.) I especially enjoyed the the reference to the 2006 prayer study that shows prayer maybe harmful to your health. That’s a hoot.

You helped me see,
however, I’m not sure exactly what yet. I’ve been thinking about this quiet a bit. I’m a slow thinker and it’s still simmering in my thoughts and consciousness.

Overall, It does seems to be about prayer - and this I’m pretty clear on, I’m not exactly a pray-er. I avoid prayer. It makes me uncomfortable. (I won’t bore you with my thoughts around this, this is my work..and too difficult to discuss in this forum.)

I’m happy for the moment to just see that, ishvara-pranidhana, is a form of prayer (a form of surrender maybe?) that I don’t understand. I guess my time on the mat seems too concretely specific to me and I can’t seem to separate it… and the idea that my yoga practice is dedicated to someone else doesn’t seem to motivate me.

(Now, I'm afraid that what i have said may make me seem very shallow, so, in my defense I would like to say, that I have often started my practice offering gratitude, comfort or support to someone or something other than myself…but dedicating the actual efforts of my practice… I guess I don’t know how to give that up…)

ciao & thanks for listening. I will look up anne cushman and continue to ponder this.

-a work in progress,
donna
(orange blossom sounds a little too sweet)

“… ishvara-pranidhana - a surrendering of your efforts to something greater than yourself. As you sit or stand at the beginning of your practice, bring to mind someone or something that needs special assistance, attention, or gratitude. Dedicate your efforts during your practice to that person or thing. This dedication fills you with a resolve to actually do the practice with full attention along with the intention. As you practice, remind yourself why you are practicing. When a challenging time comes up in the practice (and it usually will), you will find the extra strength you need because of your dedication. Higher intentions allow the fruits of your practice to go beyond yourself. Paradoxically, this makes you even stronger, but that is not the point.”