yin yoga and fibromyalgia

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
abiona03

yin yoga and fibromyalgia

Post by abiona03 »

Can someone with fibromyalgia participate in yin yoga?
Bernie

Yin Yoga for Fibromyalgia

Post by Bernie »

An emphatic: Yes!

Yin Yoga, and yoga in general can help with fibromyalgia. But lets start with some basics for those who don't really know what fibromyalgia is. Here is a definition from the Mayo Clinic. "Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread pain in your muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as fatigue and multiple tender points & places on your body where slight pressure causes pain."

We don't know the cause of fibromyalgia, but we do know what can make the symptoms worse; stress and physical or emotional trauma. The pain may be made worse due to sensitization in the brain to nerve signals: the more the brain experiences pain, the more sensitive it is to pain. This can lead to an over-reaction to even slight pain signals coming from the body, thus amplifying the signal.

Treatments may include drugs and anti-depressants but can also include physiotherapies, including massage and yoga. Again, according to the Mayo Clinic, "Specific exercises can help restore muscle balance and may reduce pain. Stretching techniques and the application of hot or cold also may help....At first, exercise may increase your pain. But doing it regularly often decreases symptoms. Appropriate exercises may include walking, swimming, biking and water aerobics. A physical therapist can help you develop a home exercise program. Stretching, good posture and relaxation exercises also are helpful."

So, the key is to reduce stress (ie Yoga), move and stretch the body (ie Yoga) and go gently and slowly (ie Yin Yoga). You may want to start with a nice, slow and gentle Yin Yoga practice such as the following (check YinSights for a description of each asana at http://www.yinyoga.com/ys2_2.1_asanas.php). Hold each pose for ~ 3 minutes, if that feels right:

Opening Meditation - check in with how you are feeling, soften the breath
Butterfly
Staddle Fold
Sphinx
Reclining Twist
Shavasana

Of course, do check with your health care provider if you do have fibromyalgia and let them know what you are thinking. If they agree it is worth trying Yin Yoga, go slow and let us know how it goes for you.

Cheers
Bernie
abiona03

Post by abiona03 »

Thank you for replying Bernie. That is terric news !

I'm enrolled to begin my first class in yin yoga mid Nov. and am really excited about it. I invited one of my friends who has fibromyalgia to join me, but then wondered if I was setting her up for another disappointment by suggesting an activity that was too much for her condition. Sounds promising and its nice to know there is some evidence out there! Best regards, Abiona.
Bernie

Yin Yoga for Fibromyalgia

Post by Bernie »

Do let the teacher of the class know about your (and your friends) situation before class starts. If the teacher is not likely to know what Fibromyalgia is, why not print out a copy of this thread and give it to her? I hope you enjoy the class, and let us know how it works out for you. I am sure there are many people with the same condition who would love to hear your story.

Cheers!
abiona03

Post by abiona03 »

Thankyou Bernie. It does sound like a good idea to print the email thread.
Bernie

article on yoga and fibromyalgia

Post by Bernie »

EyesClosed

Post by EyesClosed »

Hiya hi, everyone! Sorry I'm on here so late, but I had a few questions to ask for my friend, Leela. She's not the most tech savvy person in the world, so that's why she has me participating. Anyway, that's beside the point. =P

While Leela doesn't have fibromyalgia, the subject matter and inquiry are basically the same. Leela experiences massive, body wide pain -- in the neck, back, arms and legs. Everywhere you can think of, really. The difference between Bernie's case is that Leela was recently diagnosed with chondrosarcoma -- a form of skeletal/cartilage cancer. Hence the skeletal pain she's been dealing with.

So with that said, do the same rules apply? Is it o.k. for Leela to continue participating in yoga (or yin yoga) despite her condition and diagnosis? Also, we understand that standard treatments have a tendency to weaken the body because of how strong the dose is. Is there a type of alternative cancer treatment that could help Leela go about her daily activities without feeling AS weakened? I've heard that proton therapy is a more focused type of cancer treatment that primarily focuses on the effected area. Does anyone know if this would allow for Leela to continue exercising? Exercise is SO important to her and she wants to fight off this condition in EVERY WAY she can.

Thanks for listening! Bless you all! =D
Patricia
Bernie

When to add yoga?

Post by Bernie »

Perhaps there are readers out there in Yin-land that can answer your questions better than I as I am unfamiliar with Leela's case. I certainly would never advise anyone to stop their cancer treatments, because firstly I don't know them at all, and secondly, even if I did, I am not a health care provider.

This doesn't mean that Leela shouldn't keep investigating alternatives! I heartily endorse that: everyone needs to be the one in charge when it comes to our own health. She just needs to find qualified opinions and then carefully weigh what is best for her.

Can she do Yin Yoga in her condition? Maybe. That's the best I can offer. She really needs to 1) talk to her health care providers and see what they think and 2) try it a little, going really slow. Maybe she should start with a good Yoga Therapist and see how it goes. My intuition is that she will benefit from yoga as have so many other people with cancer, but she has to make sure that the yoga she does works for her.

I wish you and Leela well in this journey.

ps - while not a doctor, I would suggest Leela look into intravenous vitamin C therapy because it has shown some very good results with cancer patients. There is an interesting article in Science Daily.

Also, I am sure she has already been told, but vitamin D is also highly recommended! Check out this site.