Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Half butterfly and sitting bones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christophe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Half butterfly and sitting bones Reply with quote

Dear Bernie,

In half butterfly, one leg is stretched straight to the side.

When I fold forward down the middle between both legs, is is okay if the sitting bone of this straight leg isn't firmly on the floor, especially when I want to open the leg a little wider or is it better to open the leg less to keep both sitting bones firmly on the floor ?

Thank you.

Cheers.
Christophe.
Bernie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question isn't whether it is okay for the sitting bones to be slightly off the ground; the question is what are you feeling when the sitting bones are not on the ground? There is no a-priori reason to have both sit bones grounded but no reason to not to have them grounded either.

If the intention of your pose is to achieve a stress along the spine, hamstrings or adductors, then - what are you feeling while you are in the pose? Are you getting what you want? Is there any pain anywhere or it is just a nice juicy feeling where you intend it to be? If you are getting what you want, then who cares what the sit bones are doing?

In other words, it can be okay for the sitting bones to be floating as long as you are getting what you want from the pose.

Cheers!
Bernie
Christophe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bernie for answering.

The part of my body stretched is different when the sitting bones are off the floor than when they are on the floor so I understand now that both can be okay and it only depends on which part of the body I want to stress.

Cheers.
Christophe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: