Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music for Yin Yoga
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Music for Yin Yoga Reply with quote

I am having trouble putting together an appropriate musical playlist for my Yin classes. It is hard to find the balance between having low key music that isn't too slow and depressing and putting in too much upbeat music that makes you want to flowing it out in sun salutations!

Do any teachers or students have a favorite playlist, artist or song that they could share?

Thanks in advance!
Lorien

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Anugama's Shamanic Dream, but I also use a lot of acoustic guitar works, like Pat Metheny's One Quiet Night. Deva Premal's slower stuff works, too, and I've recently discovered a dreamy CD called "Bali Dua" by Jalan Jalan that I like.

I recently posted about music on my blog, so you can check it out there, if you like: http://yogabylorien.blogspot.com/

Good luck!
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: yin/music Reply with quote

In the yin classes I lead there is no music. At first some of the students asked why. I explained that I felt yin yoga lends itself well to the quiet in being a very meditative and contempative practice, so I choose not to use music and have the students concentrate on their breath as much as possible through the entire practice.
In my own practices at home - both yin and yang there is no music and this works well for me. Also I'm pretty lazy and now I don't have to try to make playlists or change them to keep them fresh. Stay safe-blessings to you and yours. Frank.
Bernie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Yin Music Reply with quote

Like Frank, sometimes I have no music on while I do my own personal Yin Yoga practice, but when I teach I do use music. The range of music that I use is quite wide, from basically stringing several shavasana enhancing musical pieces together (quiet, drone-like songs) to more eclectic pieces, such as classical or guitar music or even some new age techno. However, as you point out Stephanie, music with a strong beat or that is very loud doesn't work.

Here are some pieces and musicians I use:

Theresa Shroeder-Shakar
Reema Datta
Buddha Nature by Deuter
Angel Love by Aeoliah
Shavasana by Gabriele Morgan
Carlos Nakai
Returning by Berezin
Holy Holy Holy by Steven Samler
Loren Nikkel
Some of Shastro's work
Bhavana and Earth by 10 West
Some of Dumblazy's work (more techno but nice for certain moods)
Soulfood & Billy McLaughlin
Liquid Mind (they have several CDs in their series)
Ron Allen's meditations
Natural Sounds (waves, birds, etc.)
Karunesh
Rasa
Thomas Barguee

With playlists, I never use just one CD anymore. I mix and match quite liberally.

Cheers
Bernie
Jessica Powers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Some Favourite Musics Reply with quote

If I am in a rush and don't want to think:
Todd Norian - Bija
Jennifer Berezan - Returning

If I have some brain power:
Shaman's Dream - just depends on the day which cd or how much of which ones
Jai Uttal - Music for Yoga & Other Joys is fantastic, students have been unfailingly responsive to Loveland
Wah! - either of the Savasana albums are good

I've also used cds by Rasa a few times, nice and mellow
Steph Challis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Music for Yin Reply with quote

I use music for most classes and choose very carefully to ensure the music really assists in the expansion and relaxation process. My favorite composer by far is Andrew Forrest (www.andrewforrest.co.nz) as his music not only has an expansive quality, it really seems to help participants go deeper in their practice and even has a healing effect. I'd especially recommend "Infinite Octaves", "Starseed" and "Alchemy" for Yin yoga.

Sometimes I use music very quietly - almost subliminal - other times it feels appropriate to turn the volume up a little, especially during long holds. If the class is very full, I might not use any music at all.

warm wishes from New Zealand
Stephanie
New Zealand
HuMaN-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try peter kater and carlos nakai's album Migration.

http://www.amazon.com/Migration-Peter-Kater/dp/B000000POD

did my first yin yoga practice today (felt awesome) and that album fits perfectly. i'm sure any of their albums would be great for a yin practice anyways.

they're perfect for restorative practices, as well as for relaxation, savanas, or even meditation.

namaste!
faerrleah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin Yoga workouts will help you energize and reduce stress.The yoga styles featured range from instrumental yoga music to sanskrit mantras, kundalini, kirtan and chanting for yoga. Outline of a Quiet Practice brings together in a fresh way the ancient wisdom of acupuncture and Taoism with Hindu yoga practices.
Damonomad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great artists names Stephan Micus,
his albums 'To the Evening Child'. and 'Life' are a good place to start
also the group 'Stars of the Lid' works
i am going to try some of the other artists mentioned
in the thread that i do not know,
talk soon,
Damon
Jessica Powers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded Stevin McNamara's Prana Groove and I am in love with it. Very unobtrusive, and pretty when I am attentive enough to be mindful of it!

Am now eagerly awaiting Jai Uttal's volume 2 of Music for Yoga and Other Joys, called Bhakti Bazaar.
Heather Featherstone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most beautiful music I've found for yoga or painting or "Other Joys In Life" is:

1. The Spirit of Yoga by Ben Leinback (with Jai Uttal & Manose) 62.48 minutes

2. Music For Yoga And Other Joys by Jai Uttal (with Ben Leinback) 76 minutes

The spirit of breath itself.

Heather
ralphcree

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: music for yin yoga Reply with quote

Hi, have a listen to this: http://thecrees.bandcamp.com/album/kenosis

we have played for a yin yoga class at The Sanctuary in Thailand.

love
Ralph
Elisabeth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Music for Yin Yoga Reply with quote

My students have a favorite which is Music in the Key of Om by Jack Dejohnette. Beautiful, not depressing and takes you into a deep place!
kiki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Music I love for teaching Yin Reply with quote

Full disclosure - he is my second cousin. But I get the most inquiries about my music when I play NY-based artist Garth Stevenson's music in class. You can get his album, 'Flying' on iTunes. Not sure where else.
Rya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For background piano, I enjoy playing "Lifted" by Richard Goldsworthy.

For acoustic, "Secret Life of a Phim" by Polek is great. The chorus of the song "Divine Exchange" is "I sit and observe. I am this I am." Smile

Another nice artist is Bachan Kaur.

Happy listening,
Rya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: