How Long Should We Hold the Dragon Pose?

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Bernie

How Long Should We Hold the Dragon Pose?

Post by Bernie »

I was recently asked this question, and it is a good one. Here is the full question:

"...What is the longest you would make your students hold dragon? Some teachers hold it longer then 4 minutes (one teacher said she did it for 7 minutes!). Personally I feel it is not safe. After 4 minutes I feel pain along the midline up from the pelvic floor."

In YinSights, I recommend this one to be held for 3 ~ 5 mins, or to cycle through a variety of options, holding each one for ~ 1 minute. I know that some teachers do let their students linger longer in this pose. Personally I do marinate in it for longer than 5 minutes, but it depends on the day and how I am feeling.

Whether the pose is safe depends totally upon the student and the sensations she is experiencing. As always, pain should not be present at all. In your case, since you are feeling pain, come up before you get to that level of intensity. But if there is no pain, why not allow yourself the luxury of sinking in deeply. (It will feel so exquisite when you do come out!)

Remember, the principle in Yin Yoga is to statically stress the tissues for a long time, but not so deep or long that we go past the edge and start to damage tissues. Every body is different; what is okay for one student can be definitely too much for another student, and yet may not be nearly enough for a third student. As a teacher, keep reminding your students to pay attention to what is happening and to come out when the time is right.

Cheers
Bernie