Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Postpartum Series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga for Fertility and Sexual things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Mom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Postpartum Series Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in the final stretches of pregnancy and looking to my practice after my baby arrives. Bernie, I've loved the eight asanas you suggested in an earlier post. Would you be able to suggest another series I can follow post-pregnancy?

Thanks!
Bernie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Post Partum Yin Yoga Reply with quote

Hi Cali_Mom

I feel quite unqualified to answer this question so I went looking for someone with more experience to address this. Roberta Hughes, who is a Yin Yoga teacher and Pre/Post-Natal Yoga teacher, and a mom, in Parker Colorado, helped out. You can learn more about Roberta at this web site: http://www.theyinyogacenter.com Here is what she offers:

----------------------------------------------------------

This is a great question Bernie. I will answer based on my personal experience and the work I have done with Post-Natal Recovery:

The six weeks following delivery is a time for healing for the mother. After delivery, most women will notice that their bodies are very stiff and tight. After I delivered, I could hardly do a forward fold. However, yin postures can be used to gently stretch the body, as well as massage the belly (through) and stimulate abdominal muscles in a gentle way. My recommendation to women who have had a healthy vaginal birth:

Week 1: Lots of Kegels and Belly Massage! When taking a shower, do kegels continuosly as you wash and rinse your hair. Spend 1-2 minutes massaging the belly in a clockwise motion with moderate to deep pressure.

Week 2: Add in forward folds to stretch the hamstrings and compress the belly. Seated forward fold and legs up the wall are perfect. Avoid hip openers and inner-thigh stretches for now.

Week 3: Continue with forward folds. Add in lying twists to help massage the belly, shrink the uterus, and stimulate the abdominal muscles.

Week 4: Continue with above. Add inner thigh forward folds.

Week 5: Continue with above. Add deeper twists (seated) to work the abdominals gently.

Week 6: After getting a clear check up from your doctor, begin core strengthening work and continue with the postures above.

1-2 yin postures a day in the format listed above, can very nourishing for a new mom. She will find that doing one of the things on the list consistently will make a difference. She will need to remember to be "flexible" with her expectations and feel satisfied if she only has five minutes here and there throughout the day, rather than a full 30-60 minutes to do a complete series.

I hope this is helpful.
Peace,
Roberta
Cali_Mom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Thank you for the reply! Reply with quote

And I noticed in my original post I said I was in the final "stretches" of pregnancy. I meant final "stages" of pregnancy! Smile
Bernie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: The home stretch Reply with quote

I thought that was a very appropriate turn of phrase!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga for Fertility and Sexual things All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: