Heart-tapping tecnhique

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
tsalsa

Heart-tapping tecnhique

Post by tsalsa »

Hello! Were can i find more information about the heart tapping technique? I am looking for more information about the correct execution of it.
Thanks in advance
Bernie

Heart tapping to stimulate the thymus gland.

Post by Bernie »

Here is the way I was taught it: bring the tips of your fingers together (either hand, but I use my right hand); gently tap them up and down along the length of your sternum. Avoid tapping on the "floaty bit" at the end (that is your xiphoid process: it could break if hit too much. And, it feels uncomfortable to tap it anyway, so don't do that.) Continue tapping for 1 ~ 2 minutes.

Beneath the breastbone (sternum) lies the remains of your thymus gland. As a child it is relatively large, but it fades away as we age, however, there are always some cells there even in older people. The thymus helps to mature white bloods: teaching them to recognize what is "you" and what is foreign, so that they only attack bad things, not your own body. Tapping is believed to increase energy flow to the thymus (you can imagine an increase of blood flowing to this region due to the tapping.) I am not aware of any Western evidence to support this theory, but the absence of proof is not proof of absence.

If it feels good, go for it! Don't overdo it, though.
Cheers
Bernie
tsalsa

Re: Heart tapping to stimulate the thymus gland.

Post by tsalsa »

Thank you!!
Bernie wrote:Here is the way I was taught it: bring the tips of your fingers together (either hand, but I use my right hand); gently tap them up and down along the length of your sternum. Avoid tapping on the "floaty bit" at the end (that is your xiphoid process: it could break if hit too much. And, it feels uncomfortable to tap it anyway, so don't do that.) Continue tapping for 1 ~ 2 minutes.

Beneath the breastbone (sternum) lies the remains of your thymus gland. As a child it is relatively large, but it fades away as we age, however, there are always some cells there even in older people. The thymus helps to mature white bloods: teaching them to recognize what is "you" and what is foreign, so that they only attack bad things, not your own body. Tapping is believed to increase energy flow to the thymus (you can imagine an increase of blood flowing to this region due to the tapping.) I am not aware of any Western evidence to support this theory, but the absence of proof is not proof of absence.

If it feels good, go for it! Don't overdo it, though.
Cheers
Bernie