Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bulged Discs and Fascia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and Spine Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liz A

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Bulged Discs and Fascia Reply with quote

Hi Bernie
When I trained with you almost a year a go, I vaguely remember you mentioning the high percentage of people over the age of either 30, 40 or 50 who have a bulged disc. It was quite a high number and surprised me. I can't find it easily in your new book so thought I 'd ask as this is very interesting and I've been meaning to ask you about this for quite some time.
I also vaguely remember you saying that sometime these bulged discs can have no symptoms until there are issues with the fascia in that area? As fascia is super important. Can you please clarify this or point me to where in your book, or website or if this is in another thread on the forum?
Namaste
Liz
Bernie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz

You have a good memory. Indeed I did say this, and it is documented in the appendices to Your Spine, Your Yoga. If you have the book, you can read this online here. (The password is at the front of your book.) The appendix is 12. SACRAL, LOW BACK AND NECK PAIN AND PROBLEMS.

Here is the data from table Table 3.503 The proportion of an asymptomatic population possessing spinal changes increases with age.109:

Disc bulge 30% 40% 50% 60% 69% 77% 84%
At 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 years of age respectively.

These are asymptomatic people! They have no pain, but they have a bulge. Thus we find that most pain is not structural or at least not due to the bones, but rather we find it is more to do with fascia and biopsychosocial issues beyond the tissues.

Cheers, Bernie
Liz A

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: RE: bulged discs and fascia Reply with quote

Many thanks, this is very useful for my teaching! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and Spine Issues All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: