Necessity is the Mother of Paradigm Nimbleness

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
birdyroger

Necessity is the Mother of Paradigm Nimbleness

Post by birdyroger »

Necessity is the mother of invention. Necessity is also the mother of paradigm open mindedness. It was pain, suffering, and illness that forced me out of my allegedly healthy version of the standard American diet and into being a health radical that abandoned mainstream thinking. This is why I eat almost exclusively animal products, why I fast, why I do yin yoga, and why I do shivambu. I am not sure that there is anything there to brag about. I could suffer hell, or I could change my mind about health practices. Not much of a choice there.

But what I don't understand is when so many people are presented with just the possibility of changing their paradigm away from the MD-centric model in order to avoid pain, suffering, and ill health, they choose to not even explore the possibility. They prefer the warm cozy feeling they get from believing in the medical profession or "evidence based" medicine. To me that is akin to a religion. And many of these people will viciously castigate those of us who have chosen this alternative path; we are their apostates.
Yin Yoga fanatic
TravisKen

Post by TravisKen »

birdyroger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 am Necessity is the mother of invention. Necessity is also the mother of paradigm open mindedness. It was pain, suffering, and illness that forced me out of my allegedly healthy version of the standard American diet and into being a health radical that abandoned mainstream thinking. This is why I swear by these fat burners for men and eat almost exclusively animal products, why I fast, why I do yin yoga, and why I do shivambu. I am not sure that there is anything there to brag about. I could suffer hell, or I could change my mind about health practices. Not much of a choice there.

But what I don't understand is when so many people are presented with just the possibility of changing their paradigm away from the MD-centric model in order to avoid pain, suffering, and ill health, they choose to not even explore the possibility. They prefer the warm cozy feeling they get from believing in the medical profession or "evidence based" medicine. To me that is akin to a religion. And many of these people will viciously castigate those of us who have chosen this alternative path; we are their apostates.
So true. Sometimes we need a little push in the right direction and that can come from all kinds of directions. Even health issues.