Advice please on how I can become a teacher one day

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Beesteph

Advice please on how I can become a teacher one day

Post by Beesteph »

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice please. I have a chronic illness which leaves me bed bound and house bound most days. I have for a while been doing yin yoga indoors from you tube which helps me greatly. I have also practiced meditation for a few years now which also helps a lot. I have been unable to work for 13 years but I feel I'm just existing day to day. But I finally feel for the first time that I could possibly of found something I could do as work. I'm thinking I would love to learn restorative and yin yoga and eventually teach it to others with chronic illnesses say online somehow. I have been trying to find information on restorative yoga online such as what are all of the poses? Are they adapted from another form of yoga such as hatha and it's best to learn that first. I just seem to be hitting a wall finding information about restorative yoga, even if I could find a book or something. I've found details on yin yoga but all I find for restorative is a description of it but no details of what all the poses are
Can anyone give me and help or advice please? Many thanks
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Your desire is an admirable one! I hope you succeed. First, there is a thread on teaching Yin Yoga with our without certification here, which you may find interesting. Secondly, there is a lot out there on teaching restorative yoga: I would suggest you check into the huge body of work by Judith Lasater.

Finally: you say that you are bed bound and house bound. That would make it difficult/impossible to go out to take teaching trainings. There are some online certification courses available, but in reality, one does not need certification to teach (see the first link above.) You do need knowledge and experience, but that can come from your own journey, not from a specific course. I would suggest you keep learning on your own and when you feel the time is ripe to share what you have learned and experienced, students may start to show up.

Good luck!
Bernie
Beesteph

Post by Beesteph »

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me. I have learnt a lot from you online and watching you on you tube about yin yoga and I finally feel Iv found a yoga that is just right.
I will also look into your suggestion re the restorative yoga because I'm thinking both will benefit me and others in similar situations to me.
You are right about me getting out so I'll have to stick to online stuff which is a blessing that it even exists! To enable me to do it.
I'm hoping through the yoga I'll build up my strength and reduce the amount of sever days which will enable me to go out more often.
Thank you Bernie you've been really helpful