Dear Bernie,

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
birdyroger

Dear Bernie,

Post by birdyroger »

It matters to me what you do in your daily practice:

What poses do you do, and for how long?

Do you do your practice everyday?

How long does it take you to get through your entire sequence?

Are there other practices that you do, like fasting or a particular diet? What do you think of shivambu?

Is there anything else that you would like to add?
Yin Yoga fanatic
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

You ask what I do...but firstly, that is irrelevant because you are not me ;-), but secondly, what I do varies day by day. After 2 decades of doing yoga asana, I probably know over 1,000 postures/variations. I do not have a regular routine or flow, but rather check in and feel what I need that day and spontaneously do a variety of postures. I can say that I start my day with meditation: that is first and foremost. Then, I decide if this is a yang or yin day. I go from there. Yes, I do this everyday, but some days it may only be 20 minutes! Most days is about 80~90 minutes.

Physical health has these 3 dimensions: strength, endurance and mobility. As we age, we lose more and more of all 3; thus we have to spend more and more time maintaining each. For strength I do resistance training. Sometimes this is through yoga (handstands, Down dogs, planks, pushups, Warriors and Chair poses) and sometime through swinging Kettle Bells. For endurance, this too can be done through yoga (power yoga, Ashtanga, vinyasa flow, etc.) but I also enjoy running sprints a few times a week. For mobility, this is purely yoga-both yang forms of yoga, but specifically Yin Yoga. Throughout my yoga practice, and especially in my Yin Yoga practices, I cultivate mindfulness. This is the meditation aspect of yoga, which can be applied in all areas of building strength, endurance and mobility-that's what makes it yoga (as opposed to simply exercise).

Health is not just exercise. Diet is important. My partner is an Ayurvedic consultant and she keeps my diet nicely balanced for my dosha. I don't do shivambu. I have tried it, not sure it really is good for me. But, this doesn't mean it might not be good for you.

Good luck finding YOUR path!
Bernie

ps - I love to hang around! Any/every chance I get to grab a bar or something similar at a kid's park, I just hang from it. Great for fascia.
birdyroger

Thank you, Bernie

Post by birdyroger »

( ͡◉ ͜ʖ ͡◉)
Yin Yoga fanatic