Yin and the yoga wheel

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
warriorsaint

Yin and the yoga wheel

Post by warriorsaint »

Bernie:
I am curious re: your thoughts re: incorporating the yoga wheel in poses. I have been experimenting with a nice cork wheel in butterfly and esp saddle, where I get an exhilarating opening for the front body. Thanks!
Bernie

Using the yoga wheel as a prop in Yin Yoga?

Post by Bernie »

In general, I am a fan of props in yin, provided they are used to create the appropriate amount of stress in the appropriate areas. By appropriate amount, I mean that the props can reduce stress when it is too much and prevents a student from lingering longer in the postures; or props can increase stress when the stress is too little and nothing is happening. By appropriate areas, I mean is the stress occurring in the targeted areas? If the answers are yes, then by all means use the yoga wheel. But, if using the wheel creates too much stress or the stress is not going where you want it to go, stop using it.

You use the word "exhilarating" ... which is not normally a term I hear from yin yoga students ;-) Is this really a yin stress you are creating? Or just another short-held, yang backbend/heart opener? Can you linger there for 3 to 5 minutes without overdoing it? If so, great!

Cheers!
Bernie