Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there specific Sanskrit names for wall yin poses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girlfridayyogi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Are there specific Sanskrit names for wall yin poses? Reply with quote

I am finishing my YTT 200 and am practicing Sanskrit names for asana. I have had a difficult time specifying them online. In The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga pg 171 lists some lovely sequencing but there is not a sanskrit reference I am seeing...any resources are welcomed. Thank you. Also there is not a time limit this is for my own curiosity and growth. Laughing
Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, sorry -- no Sanskrit for these. You can possibly make some stuff up if your Sanskrit is strong. For a long time anything that had the body inverted, like legs up the wall or shoulder stand, was called vipariti karani. You can call all these yin poses vipariti karani if you like, or add something in front of it, like Caterpillar could be called "paschimottanasana vipariti karani" but don't expect to find that in an ancient text somewhere. Cheers, Bernie
girlfridayyogi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: THANK YOU!! Reply with quote

Thank you for your time! Cool
dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online Sanskrit Pronunciation Guide http://www.tilakpyle.com/sanskrit_asanas.htm

And Yoga Dancer http://www.yogadancer.com/Pattra/Janu.shtml#Seal
Bernie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Dave!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: