Sequence input

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
AnneSimpson

Sequence input

Post by AnneSimpson »

Hi Bernie
I have been teach yin since 2014. I use your books and website all the time.

I'm starting a new session next eeek with mostly non yogi beginners. Middle aged women and a few pregnant women who have been practicing for a while.

I have blocks and people will bring blankets to fold to sit on.

Here's my proposed sequence. I usually start with pawsnmuktasana joint freeing and a breathing exercise...

For the first few classes we will spend extra time investigating finding an edge and modifications...

Butterfly (in this pose I will talk about the 3 tennents)
1/2 butterfly l/r
Straddle

Pause

Shoelace-sleeping swan- dragon (l then right)

Pause

Child's pose with thread the needle arms
Sphinx

Arm pidgeon (not sure this is the correct name for this. It's arm flat and rolled over on the side...opening chest/shoulder)

On to back for reclined twice
Supported bridge

savasana

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything? We will start with 2 minutes and slowly lengthen. The class is 90 minutes.

Thank you for your input and for this awesome resource.

Anne
Anne
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Anne. I am glad that you are using props to help your students. I am sure they are grateful. Your flow sounds nice, if not a bit full, but since you are going for shorter holds initially, it should work. Let’s see: for the spine you have flexion, extension and twists. Only thing you are missing is lateral (side) flexion (like Bananasana) but you could add that to the Shoelace pose: have them do a side bend while holding the hips still.

For the hips your flow has external rotation, flexion, extension, abduction, and adduction. If you wanted you could offer some internal rotation (add twisted roots when you do the finishing twists, maybe.)

But, overall, you have the main movements: you don’t have to do all the hips work if you are focussing on the spine, and you don’t have to do all the spine work if you are focussing on the hips.

Cheers
Bernie
AnneSimpson

Post by AnneSimpson »

Thank you for that reply!
You were right. I had too many poses!
Especially for a first class where I spent some time on each poses considering the body and potential use of props.

In the end we did

Butterfly
1/2 butterfly
Shoelace (with a twist, but next week I will try a side bend)
Caterpillar

Then low dragon directly to sleeping swan
(Which worked well as a few chose to go to their back and did one knee in and figure 4)

Child's pose
Sphnyx
Arm pidgeon

Supported bridge

My plan is to now use this same sequence and add 30 seconds to each pose each week until we get to 5 minutes.

Hopefully they will continue to be receptive to props as the time goes longer. There were a few who insisted they didn't want them...but could probably have benefitted from them.

I appreciate your feedback! Thank you.

Anne
Anne
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Sounds good!