Skin itchiness during Yin Yoga

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Ablasuena

Skin itchiness during Yin Yoga

Post by Ablasuena »

Hi!

Today my student asked a question I didn't have an answer to: why does the skin become itchy during long held stretches?

I then googled the question and read that skin is the termination of the nervous system. In that case is the itchiness a bad sign, a signal of some nerve reaction we don't want? Should the student ditch the pose in case of real physical itchiness?

I will appreciate any advice.

Taute
Bernie

Itchy yin

Post by Bernie »

I have never heard of itchiness arising as a by-product of a yin yoga practice, but I can imagine it may be possible for some students. Perhaps it is a nervous system reaction, as you surmise, or maybe it is a sign of something more problematic. There are many conditions that can cause itchiness (like shingles!) Or maybe it is coming from the yoga mat not being clean?

Medically, itchiness is called "pruritus" and if it last for a while (couple of weeks), is so bad you can't sleep, or is accompanied by other signs and symptoms, such as extreme tiredness, weight loss, changes in bowel habits or urinary frequency, fever, or redness of the skin, then a visit to the doctor is in order.

I wonder if this has always happened to your student, or is it something new? If so, what else is new in his/her life? Have things changed recently: perhaps new stresses arising at work or in social relationships, etc.

If changing postures resolves the itchiness, or coming out earlier does the trick, those are good ideas. If it is recent thing, it may resolve itself quickly, but if not, he/she may want to get it checked out by a therapist/doctor.

Good luck!
Bernie
Lorraine90

itchy skin during yin poses

Post by Lorraine90 »

I have the same problem. It sometimes itches like crazy during a stretch.. I believe it is caused by dry skin, The solution is quite simple,,, moisturize, every day...
Pregnant women sometimes experience the same itching sensation when their bellies stretch too fast or too much. There again the solution is to moisturize (almond oil works wonder) every day.
Hope this help

Lorraine