3 part daoist breath

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
macherry

3 part daoist breath

Post by macherry »

Hi Bernie. I've been going through my notes again from your retreat training in 2013. I'm trying to remember the sequence for the 3 part daoist breath. Was it done seated or standing? And could you please explain it again. I've looked for references and i can't find any.
Bernie

3 Part Daoist Breath

Post by Bernie »

I learned this originally from Paul and Suzee Grilley: they do a flow combining the movement of the arms and the breath which they call the 4-Part Daoist Breath. My variation on their theme was to do this while sitting, often at the beginning of a yoga practice. Their version is done standing. The following is my version:
  • If it is available, choose the Seiza style sitting position (Vajrasana) where you are sitting on your heels, but if that is not going to work, just sitting cross-legged.
    Let your hands rest at your side and exhale.

On the first Inhale lift your arms up over your head
    As you exhale, bring your hands behind your head and push them out to the sides of the room. This is a stiff, muscular movement. You may drop your head a little.

On 2nd inhale, bend the elbows bringing fingers to the shoulders. Lift your heart, fill your lungs and look up slightly.
    As you exhale, push your palms forward, with stiff fingers and hands: as your hands go forward, round your back bringing your chin to your chest.

On the 3rd inhale, turn the palms up, reach your straight arms up and over your head, arching your back and looking up to the sky
    As you exhale, fold forward into Child's Pose, with your hands on the floor beside your feet, palms down, flat on the floor.

Roll up to sitting on your next inhale and begin the cycle again with that same breath.

Repeat 4 times, ending in Child's Pose each time, but for the final Child's Pose, keep your arms stretched out in front of you, like a deep pranam, salaam, prostration. From this position you may choose to flow into other postures: Cat's Breath, Tadpole/Frog, etc.
Again, this is a variation on the Grilley's theme: to do it standing up as they teach it, it is basically the same flow up to the 3rd movement: since you would be standing, you wouldn't come into Child's Pose, but simply do a forward fold. The 4th cycle then would be to come up half-way from the forward fold position and fold again as you exhale, then rise all the way up as you begin the cycle again.

Cheers!
Bernie
macherry

Post by macherry »

thanks bernie!
pbleduc

Post by pbleduc »

Bernie, when you do this standing up, what do you do with your arms after the third exhale? Do you just let them hang? Same question for the fourth breath.

Thanks,

Philippe
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Phillipe

When this is done standing, it is called the 4-part Daoist breath. Fold forward for part 3, all the way to the floor, exhaling. Then, rise up 1/2 way on an inhale (hands to shins) and exhale back to the floor. Repeat the whole cycle by rising to standing, arms overhead on the next inhale.

Cheers
Bernie
pbleduc

Post by pbleduc »

Thanks Bernie! And thank you again for the training this past week!