Prolonged Sitting

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Nick

Prolonged Sitting

Post by Nick »

What's a good 30 to 60 minute yin routine for countering the effects of prolonged sitting? When I'm working, I usually have to sit at a desk or table for hours at a time. Naturally, my body hates this. How can I make it happy again?
Bernie

Avoiding Death by Desk

Post by Bernie »

First, I would suggest you watch a video I produced on this very topic called Avoiding Death by Desk. It is hosted at MyYogaOnline/Gaiam TV. If you are not a member there, you can get one months free viewing of all their videos by following the link on this page. Here is the description of this video

• This practice from Bernie Clark is designed for people who have to sit all day long, whether at a computer, on the phone, or in meetings. Even if you are very active after your work hours are done, the impact of simply sitting for hours at a time can be as deadly as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. The research has shown that getting up for five to ten minutes each hour can make a huge difference. These little yogic vignettes can be threaded into your work day, one each hour, to ensure you avoid “death by desk.”

These little vignettes are yang like movements designed to counter the effects of sitting for long periods. However, you have asked for a yin approach. I would still rather you do a simple yang practice every hour than rely upon a longer stationary session at the end of the day to ameliorate the damage sitting does to your body, but if you want to do some yin, use the general principle of stressing the body in different ways than your sitting did. For example: sitting involves a lot of flexion of the spine and hips - don't do those in your Yin Yoga, go in the other direction - do extensions. Saddle, if it is available, would be great, but Sphinx or Seal can be good too. Dragons, Swans, Reclining Twists can also be worked into your practice.

The biggest thing is to pay attention to your body and make sure that it is happy during and after. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Bernie
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks, Bernie. I appreciate the feedback.