Yin and Osteoarthritis & Denni Brown Splints

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
Nicole Schulz

Yin and Osteoarthritis & Denni Brown Splints

Post by Nicole Schulz »

Hi Everybody,

I saw the articles about Osteoporosis and Arthritis, what if student has osteoarthritis? Just combine both precautions?

The same student has issues from dennis brown splints..any suggestins,besides listening to what th body says and practicing without pain?

Thanks for the quick heads up!
Nicole
Nicole Schulz
- Yoga from the heart -
RYT200, YA,
85hrs YIN TT
Bernie

Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis in Yin Yoga

Post by Bernie »

It is a generalization, and generalizations are only generally correct, and not correct in all cases, but in general – osteoarthritis occurs when there is too much stress in a joint, and osteoporosis occurs when there is too much stress. One situation wears out the joint and it degenerates, in the other situation the joint atrophies. Neither case is great but, again – in general, the cure for one condition is the cause of the other. It is very rare that someone will suffer from both conditions at the same time.

So, if a student has osteoarthritis care must be taken to not over-stress that joint. This is challenging because if no stress is applied, osteoporosis can set in and you get the worst of both worlds. The key then is to find the Goldilocks’ position that works for that student with her unique condition. This is described in my article on Yin Yoga and Restorative Yoga, which I recommend you read.

For a greater level of insight, I would recommend you look up Dr Loren Fishman who has written books on both osteoporosis and yoga and arthritis and yoga. He has a good web site you can start with.

Regarding your point about the Denis Browne Splint: this is generally applied to infants to correct a club foot. What sort of issues has your student developed from that?

Cheers
Bernie
Nicole Schulz

Post by Nicole Schulz »

Hi Bernie, thanks for your answer! I'll read the block for sure!

The issues that she developed from the Denis Browne Splints is that the bones grew together in the wrong way, so they were off and not properly aligned.

Have a great day!
Nicole
Bernie

Denis Browne Splints

Post by Bernie »

Hmmm...not sure what yoga would be useful for her feet at her age. I would have to see her, but even better is for her to visit a good physiotherapist. Another alternative, if you want to do more work for her, is to ask Max Strom.

Max was born with severe club foot and suffered through many operations as a child, but today he is an amazing yogi. You can contact him at his web site. He does travel and teach quite a bit, so you might find a session with Max close to you! Who knows.

Cheers
Bernie