Lotus

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
dave

Lotus

Post by dave »

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

What are some counter poses or 'opposing' for lotus?

Thanks
Bernie

Lotus counterposes

Post by Bernie »

Hi Dave

Let's figure out how to figure out the answer to this and similar questions: first - what movements does the Lotus require? If we focus at the hip sockets, Lotus is an external rotation of the femur in the acetabulum (the thigh bone in the hip socket), as well as a flexion, and for some people, there is also some abduction. A counter pose generally moves the body in the opposite direction so for Lotus we would want to do some internal rotation, extension and maybe some adduction.

Poses that offer some or all of these opposite directions include Windshield Wipers, Deer Pose, Twisted Roots, Table Top (or any number of back bends) and Virasana (sitting between the heels.)

Cheers
Bernie
dave

Post by dave »

Thanks Bernie,
I put them together in series that changes all the time. And I also add in some other similar poses Double Pigeon - Agnistambhasana, another pose I am not sure of the name http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/s ... p-toe-pose Should be a link to a picture of a woman balanced on toes in half lotus, Ardha Padma Padangustha? And a few others.

My problem was not enough variety. It's working out good.