Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YIN FOR ROSS RIVER FEVER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dharmacottageyoga

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: YIN FOR ROSS RIVER FEVER Reply with quote

Hi All,

A friend messaged me to day telling me that she has Ross River Fever. She said all her joints are sore - like she has Arthritis. She can't do down dog as she is not strong enough in her wrists. She said she can get down on her mat but sometimes can't get back up

I immediately thought of gentle pranayama followed by Pawanamuktasana series, legs up the wall and Shavasana. We could do most of it in a chair if required.

My question is - Does anyone have any experience with Ross River Fever, if so can you recommend any Yin poses that may help?

Many thanks
Vicki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bernie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Ross River virus Reply with quote

Hi Vicki

I can appreciate your desire to help your friend. Unfortunately, the Ross River virus, which is spread via mosquitos, has no known cure. Most people get over it in a few weeks, but some people can suffer its inflammatory effects for months. There is no specific yoga practice that will cure the virus, but symptomatic treatment may be helpful. What does her health care providers recommend?

As you know, I am not a doctor or a therapist, so the following should be taken with many grains of salt (i.e.: what do I know? Try a little and watch what happens?)

For fatigue: rest and very gentle movements. So, your suggestion of the pawanmuktasanas is good. Easy pranayama may help.
For inflammation: some anti-imflamatories, like ibuprofen may help. I would also suggest generous amounts of earthing! Tumeric may also be helpful.
For lack of strength: I wouldn’t suggest she be in a hurry to get her strength back too quickly, but “motion is the lotion” of life, so gentle stresses may be helpful.

Yin Yoga? Again, her body needs to heal, so a more restorative approach is key. If you give her any Yin Yoga practice, make it very gentle. Shorter holds, no deep postures, lots of time between the poses.

Good luck!
Bernie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: