Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Name Variations for YIN Yoga Poses and the Rebound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizadousson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: More Name Variations for YIN Yoga Poses and the Rebound Reply with quote

Greetings!

I'm wondering about other Teacher/Students experience with variations in naming YIN Yoga poses. I've had a month to peruse online offerings via Youtube because I broke my hand and so YIN Yoga has been more of an ally than ever of late and I got curious. There sure are a lot of offerings and I've been surprised, delighted, confused and curious in a variety of ways, but particularly about why classic names I started out with seem to be morphing and to what degree you're experiencing this too -- like "Key Hole" for the Reclining Swan modification done on the back (sometimes referred to as Figure 4 pose)...like "Melting Heart" for Full Quarter Dog. And then there are fusions people are having fun like "Tipsy Sphinx" for a combo of 1/2 Frog & Sphinx with a bit of twist.

I'm not a fundamentalist. I play too with poses and naming at times when I teach. But in training settings I choose to share poses with "original" nomenclature (aka Paul Grilley, Sarah Powers, Bernie). What do other YIN Yoga Teachers think? Bernie? Have I missed something in the ever evolving way of things? !

Also I appreciate thoughts on the word "REBOUND" to describe the "marination" period post a pose. To my ears rebound conjours up a more "Yang" brain after the quietude of holding a shape. In some Yoga or bodywork settings that word for me that physically leaned towards BOOMERANG...where we've taken the pose too far, or the client too far, and post pose we/they experience REBOUND in a negative way...meaning the body reverts to contracture. Thoughts on REBOUND?

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss here.
As a dedicated YIN Yoga practitioner and teacher -- with 11 years of offering in this method -- I continue to "peel the proverbial onion." Hope to share YIN Yoga wit you some time at a training, workshop, class or Festival. Namaste. Liza Dousson
Bernie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liza

I hope your hand heals quickly!

Yes, there are many variations of names in the asana world, and it has ever been thus! Is Mountain Pose called Tadasana or Samasthiti? Yes, depending upon which Indian teacher you follow (Iyengar or Pattabhi Jois.) I have seen different names for the same pose (Bhekasana and Mandukasana for Frog) and different poses for the same name (there are several different Ardha Chandrasanas and Kurmasanas out there.) Not to mention the great variety of Sun Salutations! I would be hard pressed to claim any name is “the original”, but for Yin Yoga I tend to default to the names given by Paul Grilley in his book and by Sarah Powers (thus, I use her term Straddle rather than Dragonfly.) I guess the key is to make sure that students are not confused. As long as they are doing the postures you want them to do, whatever naming used is okay.

Regarding “rebound”…this is the term Paul Grilley is using to describe the after-effect of the postures. That’s delicious sense of fragility and energy flowing after the stresses have ended. Thus, this is not the marinating phase of the pose, but the echo of the pose once you come out. Like all words, of course “rebound” could be interpreted in different ways, but if you stick to the intention behind Paul’s use of the word, your students will probably tune into what you mean. If not, try “echo” or “release” or “relief”.

Cheers, Bernie
Lizadousson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks Bernie...on names...and rebound Reply with quote

Greetings Bernie -- Indeed about all kinds of variations in nomenclature for all Yoga poses and so now more often for YIN too. The confusion, along with language from restorative yoga fusing with YIN and vice versa, is something I notice...as a hmmmm in that evolution and languaging.

I too try to use names used by Paul and Sarah with dips into the pool here and there to include reference to some of the alternative names popping up in case people run into them. For me most recently it has been "Rolling Panda" for "thread the needle (with a bit of "gate pose" too as an option). I don't teach TTN (regardless of name) as a "classic YIN pose" but do sometimes include it when focusing on an upper body/meridian pathways thematic. Rolling Panda was a new one just this week...along with Broken Wing...and Tipsy Sphinx. Smile Each of these target upper body/arms/torso ...and I have always appreciated one of your early videos on My Yoga Online (now GaiaTV) for the upper body given the meridian flow throughout the entire body.

And where have i been on that "rebound" thing?! Despite personal studies it was quite a long time ago with Paul G...?? Did I miss it in the DVD The Quiet Practice?? Somewhere else? And thanks for that distinction between rebound vs. marinating...

Warm regards Bernie,

Liza
As a dedicated YIN Yoga practitioner and teacher -- with 11 years of offering in this method -- I continue to "peel the proverbial onion." Hope to share YIN Yoga wit you some time at a training, workshop, class or Festival. Namaste. Liza Dousson
Lizadousson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: PS on Rebound Reply with quote

Good morn and a PS on rebound...I found Joe Barnett's 5 steps to YIN Yoga today when I searched YIN Yoga & "rebound"...during that time post a particular pose to feel and yes sometimes refer to that time as your "marination" timel...speaking of nomenclature... Smile !! Thanks again Bernie for the chat here. Thanks for the Forum. Thanks for all the ways you appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JT2SVN7U-8
Bernie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure when Paul started using the term "rebound" but it is a good description of that after pose feeling, that sense of fragility and the release of chi flooding back into the area that you just stressed.

Cheers
Bernie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: