Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sphinx : alternatives and options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christophe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Sphinx : alternatives and options Reply with quote

Hi Bernie,

My question is about Sphinx pose.

I practise it sometimes in two different ways and I'd like to know if it's okay.

The first option is an usual Sphinx but with a slight sidebend.

In the second option just one leg keeps straight and the other leg is like it is in full frog.

Are these alternatives worth it ?

Thank you Bernie.

Christophe
Bernie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christophe

As always, with any posture, you can begin by first asking what the intention of the pose is. Why are you doing it? What is the main targeted area? In Sphinx, the main targeted area is the lower back. In the modified Sphinx/Half Frog, are you still feeling some stress in the primary targeted area? If so, great! (I do, by the way.) But, with the Half Frog version, you may get some stress in a secondary targeted area: the hip. If you can get appropriate levels of stress in both targeted areas, then this is a good variation. Ditto for the Sphinx side bend or twist. For me that doesn’t work as well, but for you it might. Another combo pose I like is the Banana is the Saddle: do a regular Saddle but add a side bend. (This only works if you can come all the way to the floor in Saddle, otherwise, don’t bother.)

So — are these worth while? It depends? What do you intend, and what do you feel?

Cheers
Bernie
Christophe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Bernie.

Christophe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: