yin yoga poses for pregnant women who has sciatica?

Check out this topic for women who are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or who just had a baby or for any other issues related to sexuality for men or women.
berna

yin yoga poses for pregnant women who has sciatica?

Post by berna »

Hi Bernie,
i would like to ask for your opinion for one of my friend. As she informed me because of her pregnancy, she started to have sciatica problem.
i know we are suggesting pregnant woment soft back bends and forward bends that do not squeze her belly. for my friends' case, which poses can exaggerate her sciatica? i think maybe doing forard bends with bending knees can be done or eye of the neddle pose since all the weight is still on the ground ? can i learn for your suggestions ?

thanks a lot,
Berna
Bernie

Pregnant Sciatica

Post by Bernie »

I was wondering what I should write about for my next Newsletter: think it is time to talk about sciatica in more detail! thanks for the idea.

There are many causes of sciatica but most doctors will tend to focus on spine issues: disk problems. This is often the root cause but under-diagnosed is pressure on the nerve from the piriformis and other butt muscles. IF this is the cause of your friends problem, then avoiding hip flexion is suggested. Flexing the hips will increase pressure on the nerve. If it is a spinal problem, then spinal flexion should be avoided along with any other contraindications her doctor recommends.

You are most likely not going to cure her sciatica while she is pregnant but you can avoid making it worse. Have her notice which positions or movements seem to make it worse: that could give you some indication of the root cause (but only an indication: sometimes the only way to know for sure is with some specialized MRI tests) Perhaps she would love to do some lying on her front back bends like Seal Pose where there are bolsters under her thighs, which provide space for her belly to hang down and not hit the floor (or Sphinx with a bolster under her thighs and one under her elbows.) If you want to try seated forward folds, as you said, bend the knees but also make sure she is sitting up on a cushion as well.

Sitting Eye of the Needle may be okay, but not the lying down version because pregnant women don't tolerate long periods lying on their backs.

Cheers
Bernie
berna

Post by berna »

thank you for your feedback Bernie,

Cheers,