Yin Yoga through Pregnancy!

Check out this topic for women who are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or who just had a baby or for any other issues related to sexuality for men or women.
Sonia Doubell

Yin Yoga through Pregnancy!

Post by Sonia Doubell »

I am 5 months pregnant, I am still doing my morning practice and I feel great.
My personal practice/teaching style is a little more dynamic in that whilst postures are still/held, I mostly enjoy moving on after 1/2 minutes.
I also continue to teach & I have never felt more grateful for my Yoga than at this time. I am practicing with much deeper awareness and connection, it is just amazing.

Alas, I decided to try out some well reputed prenatal teachers classes here in London and I honestly found the classes did not fulfill me in any way.
After each class, with whom I took some other pregnant friends, I left wanting to go straight home and do my own practice and I must emphasize, I am a YIN style person through and through, so it's not that I longed to head home to do my Ashtanga.

Perhaps these classes work for pregnant women who are just starting?

My Question is this: I have now read/been told such varying advice about posture and although, I'm always inclined to go with what feels good for me,
I am interested to know if you feel doing posture lying on your back is ok? ie. Happy Baby, Supta Virasana (Saddle), and Snail, Camel?

How in your experienc,e could one approach this time?

I would like to teach prenatal yoga in the future so interested in the Knowledge.

Thanks so much for your time,

Love & Light,

Sonia Doubell (London)
Bernie

Prenatal Yin

Post by Bernie »

Hi Sonia

Thanks for your question. I am sure many students are similarly curious. The topic has benefited from many teachers who have been pregnant and maintained their yin practice throughout their pregnancy: their comments may be helpful, especially this string.

Re your specific question regarding poses on the back: while everyone is unique, and what works for one may not be great for you; in general by the last trimester you will want to avoid being on your back - but there are other poses you can use to target the same areas. For example, don't go all the way back in Saddle: try the Half-Saddle option, use a bolster and only go 3/4s of the way down. A brief Camel (1 minute) maybe okay, but it is not a very stable pose so, again, a smaller Saddle may be better for you.

Snail pose just won't be possible at this time, so skip that and try Butterfly instead. Instead of Happy Baby, try Swan to work into hips and get a nice back bend too. Another great option for the hips: Squat! Remember to reduce hold times to 1~3 minutes.

Above all, and as you say, go with what feels right for you. Cultivate your inner wisdom.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Cheers, Bernie