Yin Yoga postures for first trimester

Check out this topic for women who are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or who just had a baby or for any other issues related to sexuality for men or women.
The Power In Me

Yin Yoga postures for first trimester

Post by The Power In Me »

Please could you advise of suitable postures/Yin Yoga sequence (for someone who practices regularly) in their first trimester with a history of miscarriage and ME? I've had ME for over 12 years and have found Yin Yoga unbelievably helpful. My spleen meridian is treated regularly both in acupuncture and by Chinese herbs due to the belief in TCM that a weak spleen can lead to fatigue and miscarriage.
I've read on here that you should avoid Saddle but I love this pose, is it ok to do in the first trimester? If not what poses could I do instead that stimulate the spleen meridian?
Thank you. :-)
Ckeenan

Hello there

Post by Ckeenan »

From time to time Bernie will ask me to reply from a TCM perspective...I hope you don't mind.

It is great you are seeing a TCM practitioner to help you. By ME do you mean Myalgic Encephalomyelitis? That would make sense building and supporting your immune system through the Spleen and Lungs. The Kidneys (especially Kidney Yang) also has an important function in the stability of pregnancy. So I think also working on the Kidney meridian might be helpful as well.

I might suggest not chasing your edge in the posture but rather find a place that you can comfortably marinate in. I might hold off on some of the really intense postures (like saddle) for now (unless you did a more restorative version with bolsters - which also might be really nice to open chest/lungs). Dragon series is a nice alternative to Saddle to get into the Spleen/Stomach meridian. Bernie taught a nice version of half windshield wipers/half saddle at The Yoga Show in Toronto this year. Lye on your back, feet as wide as your mat and do some windshield wipers with legs from side to side. Let legs fall to one side (say the right) and walk left foot away from center and if you can bring it close to left hip. You can also extend your arms above head. So nice....without a deep pull on belly. Psychologically the Spleen has to do with nourishment and support. How we nourish ourselves and others. Touching parts of the body while holding a yin posture might feel really nice and calming. Yin can also be a great way to draw blood flow to the uterus which is really important.

Other things you might want to consider which will help the Spleen/Kidneys (I am sure you already are)...not to over work/over exercise/over do...or eat cold foods or drink cold fluids.

I would also suggest keeping your feet and low back warm are also important so while our body temperature tends to go down in a yin practice make sure you stay warm.

I hope this helps and all the best!

:)
Cathy
The Power In Me

Yin Yoga during your first trimester

Post by The Power In Me »

Of course Cathy, thanks for your reply :-).
Yes I do mean Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
I didn't release treating the lung meridian would also help, thank you, that's really useful to know.
I have just started practicing the pregnancy sequence Bernie put up here (Butterfly, Dragonfly, Square pose, Swan, Seal Pose, Wide knee childs pose
Easy Frog & Shavasana)
but would like to a sequence more focused towards the spleen every other day.
Do you think the sequence below is suitable?
Dangling
Squat
Toe Squat
Ankle Stretch
Melting heart (to work lungs as well)
Camel (to work lungs as well)
Dragon
half windshield wipers/half saddle :-) (as suggested by you :-)
Shavasana
Thank you again for your time.
Ckeenan

hiya

Post by Ckeenan »

Hello there,

I was thinking Lungs I guess to help support your immune system and help move Qi in the body.

I think this sequence looks good...and trust your body...if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Also remember when we are pregnant we have relaxin coursing through our system (hormone that makes our ligaments and tissues softer and more flexible). I mention this because I chased my edge in my yin practice when I was pregnant (Dragon series to be specific) and wasn't being very responsible and I suffered for weeks feeling very unstable in my hips afterwards.

I think just as important as learning to open the Spleen meridian is really learning to embrace the psychology of the Spleen / Earth Element. This represents the relationship with our body, being nourished, developing self care routines, making food/eating something sacred and meaningful, eating whole foods, practicing gratitude and moderation and taking whatever time you need to digest and assimilate your experiences in life.

There is a great book I would highly recommend if you are interested in this approach to health and wellness called 'Rhythms of Change' by Mary Saunders. It is the psychology behind how yin and yang move through our lives. Like Yin Yoga it is a simple book....but full of amazing challenges and insights....
marysaundershealth.com/rhythms-of-change/

All the best with everything!

:)
Cathy
cathykeenan.com
JackTangles

Was wondering the same

Post by JackTangles »

Very interesting. My fiancee is in her first trimester and i haven't even considered teacher her yin yet i was going to wait until a month or two after the birth.