Is Dynamic Yin a thing?

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Mickcope

Is Dynamic Yin a thing?

Post by Mickcope »

Bernie - in the previous question you answered with 'Any pose that is passive, relaxed (i.e. no muscular engagement needed), and that creates a stress in an appropriate targeted area and can be held for 2 minutes or more safely, is a Yin Yoga pose.'

Reading the Muller Schleip paper on Facial Fitness - they say 'Finally a dynamic muscular loading pattern in which the muscle is both activated and extended promises a more comprehensive stimulation of fascial tissues.' They then talk about the idea of 'soft elastic bounces in the end ranges of available motion can also be utilized for that purpose'

I wonder what your and others view is of the idea of a more 'Dynamic Yin' element. Where the 3 Tattvas are opened up to move beyond the final stillness and sometimes include a stage 4 which brings mobility to the practice?

Back to the paper again - the authors discuss the role of Dynamic Stretching in Fascial training. They talk about 'finding body movements that engage the longest possible myofascial chains (Myers 1997). This is not done by passively waiting as in a classic Hatha yoga pose... Multidirectional movements with slight changes in angle are utilized ... with this method large areas of the fascial network are simultaneously involved.'

Sorry for the long vague ramble - but trying to get my head around the question - Is Dynamic Yin a thing?

ta

Mick
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Mick

It is no “thing, that I am aware of. Of course, you can apply the adjectives yin and yang to anything, and thus dynamic stretching of fascia can be yin compared to dynamic stretching of muscles. In this case you are contrasting “fascia" as yin to “muscles" as yang. But if we focus on the term “dynamic" versus “static", then dynamic fascia stretching is yang compared to static fascia stretching which is yin. Based on the term “dynamic, being so paramount, I would not call Prof. Schleip's dynamic stretching yin. That would be confusing.

I hope that was clear?

Cheers,
Bernie