Half butterfly and sitting bones

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Christophe

Half butterfly and sitting bones

Post by Christophe »

Dear Bernie,

In half butterfly, one leg is stretched straight to the side.

When I fold forward down the middle between both legs, is is okay if the sitting bone of this straight leg isn't firmly on the floor, especially when I want to open the leg a little wider or is it better to open the leg less to keep both sitting bones firmly on the floor ?

Thank you.

Cheers.
Christophe.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

The question isn't whether it is okay for the sitting bones to be slightly off the ground; the question is what are you feeling when the sitting bones are not on the ground? There is no a-priori reason to have both sit bones grounded but no reason to not to have them grounded either.

If the intention of your pose is to achieve a stress along the spine, hamstrings or adductors, then - what are you feeling while you are in the pose? Are you getting what you want? Is there any pain anywhere or it is just a nice juicy feeling where you intend it to be? If you are getting what you want, then who cares what the sit bones are doing?

In other words, it can be okay for the sitting bones to be floating as long as you are getting what you want from the pose.

Cheers!
Bernie
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

Thank you Bernie for answering.

The part of my body stretched is different when the sitting bones are off the floor than when they are on the floor so I understand now that both can be okay and it only depends on which part of the body I want to stress.

Cheers.
Christophe.