A New Principle for Yin Yoga Practice

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Lancewr

A New Principle for Yin Yoga Practice

Post by Lancewr »

Yin Yoga has three principles: Move to your Edge, Remain Still, Hold for a Long Time. I would like to suggest a fourth principle. "Let Nothing Float". The idea behind this is that props should be used so that there is no space between major body parts and the floor. When I teach Yin I see many students with unsupported knees, torsos, heads, etc. If they are at their Appropriate Edge, gravity will keep moving them to a deeper stretch. This prevents full relaxation. An example of this idea is using blocks and blankets under the hips or thighs (facing the floor) in the Dragon poses. Try it and so what you think. It does take some time to settle into a supported pose and find your edge, but once there, support would allow for a very deep relaxation of the surrounding muscles.
Bernie

The 4th principle of yin yoga

Post by Bernie »

Well, actually...Sarah Powers sometimes says that the 4th principle of the practice is "Come out slowly." So, maybe yours is the 5th principle? :wink:

However, I am not sure I fully agree with your premise. I agree in general that when the bones feel support, the muscles can relax. So most of the time, propping up whatever is floating could be a good idea. But, for some students, this can go to far. For example: in Saddle pose, many students have floating knees. As they stay in the pose however, their quadriceps relax and lengthen allowing the knees to go lower. If the knees were supported too early, this release might not happen.

Maybe we are saying the same thing: let nothing float AFTER you have reached your final edge. The final edge is where no more relaxation is going to happen, thus no more movement will occur. (I am using relaxation here in the technical sense relating to creep of the connective tissues, not to a psychological relaxation.) But, you can also avoid floating if a stress is too intense and the student will not be able to linger long enough to get benefit. In these cases, no matter how much time has passed, propping may be a good idea right from the start.

Cheers
Bernie
Mickcope

Re: The 4th principle of yin yoga

Post by Mickcope »

Bernie wrote:Well, actually...Sarah Powers sometimes says that the 4th principle of the practice is "Come out slowly." So, maybe yours is the 5th principle? :wink:

However, I am not sure I fully agree with your premise. I agree in general that when the bones feel support, the muscles can relax. So most of the time, propping up whatever is floating could be a good idea. But, for some students, this can go to far. For example: in Saddle pose, many students have floating knees. As they stay in the pose however, their quadriceps relax and lengthen allowing the knees to go lower. If the knees were supported too early, this release might not happen.

Maybe we are saying the same thing: let nothing float AFTER you have reached your final edge. The final edge is where no more relaxation is going to happen, thus no more movement will occur. (I am using relaxation here in the technical sense relating to creep of the connective tissues, not to a psychological relaxation.) But, you can also avoid floating if a stress is too intense and the student will not be able to linger long enough to get benefit. In these cases, no matter how much time has passed, propping may be a good idea right from the start.

Cheers
Bernie

Ok at the risk of being new kid on the block and finding this idea is already dealt with somewhere .. I love the simplicity and brevity of the four principles ...

1. Move to your Edge,
2. Remain Still,
3. Hold for a Long Time.
4. Come out slowly

But as I read and try to learn and make sense of what ‘Yin' might mean for me ... the thing I come back to is the idea of a deeper sub component. The four principles seem to deal with the physical aspects of the Yin practice.

When I think about Yin and try to describe it to others... I try to integrate the model across three areas of behavioral, cognitive and affective elements. So as part of the 3rd principle I cycle around three questions.

(a) how does my body feel,
(b) what emotions am I feeling and
(c) what am I thinking?

The ‘hold' element for me is the container for this reflective cycle and preparation to explore if I am ready to move towards a new Edge. Once there I recycle these three questions. And use this as part of my practice development

Cheers mick
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

There is far more to yoga in general and yin yoga in particular than the "physical" as you point out, Mick. There are emotional, psychological and spiritual aspects of the practice too. I discuss this in an article about Playing Your Edge.

Your suggestions are quite good and I am happy that they are working for you.

Cheers
Bernie
Mickcope

Post by Mickcope »

Bernie wrote:There is far more to yoga in general and yin yoga in particular than the "physical" as you point out, Mick. There are emotional, psychological and spiritual aspects of the practice too. I discuss this in an article about Playing Your Edge.

Your suggestions are quite good and I am happy that they are working for you.

Cheers
Bernie
Lots to learn . and loving it . cheers
Mick