Yin and Yang combined

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
birdyroger

Yin and Yang combined

Post by birdyroger »

Dear Bernie,

I am wondering if doing both yin and yang versions one after the other of a pose help me avoid any problems of imbalance. My life is sort of yin since I am retired. Would doing both versions cancel anything out, or would they just enhance my health?
Yin Yoga fanatic
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Why not try it and see? Pay attention and decide which way works best for you.
birdyroger

Post by birdyroger »

Dear Bernie,

I don't mind you putting it all on me; that is where it belongs. You can't be around to hold my hand 24/7.

I have a lot of experience observing changes in myself. This is slightly different only in that I haven't done it with something as ethereal as the yin/yang duality. I will be looking at my interests, like whether I continue to enjoy watching football (yang) and golf (yin). Are my moods balanced or do I feel too weak or too strong? Right now I still like football and golf, although I don't like to see the football players fighting or the pro golfers throw tantrums. My beloved large fuzzy object (my dog) almost sent me to the hospital by running into my cuticle in the dark with either her tooth or her claw (I don't know which). It hurt like hell and I may still yet lose that big toenail, but I forgave her very quickly, so that is a good sign of balance.

Roger
Yin Yoga fanatic
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That is the practice....noticing what is happening within. These qualities of yin/yang are not unique to the Daoist philosophy. The Buddha said "find the middle path". Hatha yoga often talks in similar terms: balancing Ha and Tha (sun and moon, or moon and sun depending upon which text you read.) So...seek balance. And, balancing poses can help! But simple ones...standing on one foot with eyes closed, not headstand. Notice what happens as you wobble and fall.

Cheers!
birdyroger

Balancing

Post by birdyroger »

About the balancing, it is gratifying that I already intuited what you said, and it is helpful that you confirm what I intuited.

While balancing on one foot I sometimes play video Solitaire on the TV with the remote in my right hand and then switch back to my broadcast TV show with the remote in my left hand. If the football game gets boring, I switch back to the Solitaire game. Very challenging, but also very yang. (:->)
Yin Yoga fanatic