Meridian Theory and Organ Transplant or Removal

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
REyogi

Meridian Theory and Organ Transplant or Removal

Post by REyogi »

Bernie and all Yin-sters:
We have been teaching Yin Yoga for many years. In the past two years we have a couple of students who have had organ transplants (2-liver, 1- heart) and others in which a Kidney is removed.

My question: What is the affect on the meridians with either a removed organ or a new, transplanted one?
Seeking guidance,
Om Sat Nam,
Dennis and Kathy Lang
Email: dennisandkathylang@gmail.com
Dennis and Kathy Lang, E RYT 500, YACEP
Teachers of Yin, Vinyasa and Kundalini Yoga, Meditation and Mindfulness, Ethereal Musicians and Authors of "Everything Matters"
904-571-3154
www.yogawithdennisandkathy.com
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Great question. I decided to reach out to Jo Phee, who has studied TCM and Eastern practices far more than I have. Here is her initial response, followed by my comment and her answers.
  • I get asked this question all the time. The meridians are energetic lines that do not need the presence of a physical organ to function. It's a network of energetic interconnectedness. Each meridian is interconnected with other meridians, so even if a physical organ or body part is removed, qi is still flushing and serving the entire network. That individual will just have to take extra self care (eg. herbs or acupuncture) to minimise imbalance in that meridian as they'll be more prone to dysfunction in that meridian whenever they're unwell.

For organ replacement, normal functions should be restored quickly over time. The health of the recipient of the organ is pretty much determined by the strength of his/her meridian system rather than the donor organ.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jo. I agree, but you have studied this more than me, so appreciate your comments. I do wonder, given that the meridians run through the fascial boundaries, if when replacing a heart...do the surgeons destroy some of those channel? They have to break open the chest, cut the pericardium, etc. This can't be done laparoscopically, so surely some meridians are damaged.

• That is the question that our western mind seeks to understand but every of my TCM lecturer that I asked, all of them said the same that I replied to you. We cannot use the western way of looking at organs and physical structure and apply it to the meridian system. An amputee with his/her leg missing still has the meridians of the leg serving the entire body. What and how cannot be explained in a western scientific or physiological way. The Chinese never speak about the physical organs or body parts. They always only refer to the organ meridian (which does not need the existence of a body part or its pertaining organ to function).

However, one can notice that the amputee does tend to manifests symptoms of dysfunctions in that meridian where the body part or replaced organ is located. that person must take extra care to nourish that meridian. so i guess you can argue that the presence of the actual body part or organ does matter to meridian flow.
REyogi

Post by REyogi »

Thank you Bernie and Jo... this is very helpful. We very much appreciate it.
Om Hari Ommmm
Bernie wrote:Great question. I decided to reach out to Jo Phee, who has studied TCM and Eastern practices far more than I have. Here is her initial response, followed by my comment and her answers.
  • I get asked this question all the time. The meridians are energetic lines that do not need the presence of a physical organ to function. It's a network of energetic interconnectedness. Each meridian is interconnected with other meridians, so even if a physical organ or body part is removed, qi is still flushing and serving the entire network. That individual will just have to take extra self care (eg. herbs or acupuncture) to minimise imbalance in that meridian as they'll be more prone to dysfunction in that meridian whenever they're unwell.

For organ replacement, normal functions should be restored quickly over time. The health of the recipient of the organ is pretty much determined by the strength of his/her meridian system rather than the donor organ.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jo. I agree, but you have studied this more than me, so appreciate your comments. I do wonder, given that the meridians run through the fascial boundaries, if when replacing a heart...do the surgeons destroy some of those channel? They have to break open the chest, cut the pericardium, etc. This can't be done laparoscopically, so surely some meridians are damaged.

• That is the question that our western mind seeks to understand but every of my TCM lecturer that I asked, all of them said the same that I replied to you. We cannot use the western way of looking at organs and physical structure and apply it to the meridian system. An amputee with his/her leg missing still has the meridians of the leg serving the entire body. What and how cannot be explained in a western scientific or physiological way. The Chinese never speak about the physical organs or body parts. They always only refer to the organ meridian (which does not need the existence of a body part or its pertaining organ to function).

However, one can notice that the amputee does tend to manifests symptoms of dysfunctions in that meridian where the body part or replaced organ is located. that person must take extra care to nourish that meridian. so i guess you can argue that the presence of the actual body part or organ does matter to meridian flow.
Dennis and Kathy Lang, E RYT 500, YACEP
Teachers of Yin, Vinyasa and Kundalini Yoga, Meditation and Mindfulness, Ethereal Musicians and Authors of "Everything Matters"
904-571-3154
www.yogawithdennisandkathy.com