Morning Routine

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Nick

Morning Routine

Post by Nick »

What's a good 30 to 60 minute yin routine for the morning, right after getting out of bed? My body's particularly stiff at this time of day.
Bernie

Morning Yoga

Post by Bernie »

Every body is stiff first thing in the morning. It is part of the stretching that occurs along our spine as we sleep. The discs between the vertebra reabsorb overnight the water that gets squeezed out of them by being vertical all day long. That extra height to the disc causes the ligaments along the spine to be stressed, leading to that feeling of stiffness.

Since we are so tight first thing in the morning, we are also more liable to injure ourselves if we try to do too much too soon. It is not a good idea to roll right out of bed and onto a yoga mat. Give your body a chance to reduce the swelling in the discs. Wait at least 30 minutes before stressing the spine. Morning is not a good time for deep movements of the spine. Cat/Cow might be all you really need, so don't be trying for full Wheel or even deep Seal in your morning practice, unless you are naturally very mobile, or you have warmed up considerably.

Personally, I prefer to easy Sun Salutations or Lunge Salutations without the UpDogs (until I am really warmed up) first thing in the morning, then some Cats and Spinal Flossing. If I am doing a Yin Yoga practice, I will avoid deep twists, flexion or extensions of the spine and work on the hips instead.

Cheers
Bernie
Nick

Post by Nick »

Sounds good. Thanks, Bernie.
Liz A

early morning yoga - spine

Post by Liz A »

Hi Bernie
I found this fascinating about what happens overnight when reading your book your spine your yoga and doing the course as many yoga studios offer 6am classes. Does heat (like 30 degrees celsius+) have any positive affect on this by making spinal movements safer in the morning or does it not change anything?
Thanks
Liz
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Liz

I am not sure, but the best way to test your idea is to try it!

Theoretically, heating up the body makes things looser, but the problem is, your spinal ligaments are already overly loose from lying down all night (due to the intervertebral discs sucking up fluid overnight, thus swelling and forcing the ligaments to elongate.) I don't think heat will shrink the ligaments faster. A cold shower is not likely to reduce the disc width either: rather the pressure of the body's weight while standing helps to shrink the disc size which allows the ligaments to shorten.

Cheers
Bernie
Liz A

Re: Morning Routine

Post by Liz A »

Ok thanks Bernie :-)