A substitute for shoelace

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Skyland2001

A substitute for shoelace

Post by Skyland2001 »

Hi Bernie
As I have mentioned in a post, I can get into the shoelace pose because of the impingement pain while I am driving the top leg over to the other side. What can I do about it? Can you suggest a pose or poses that do the same kind of stretch and will be easy to get into?
Bernie

Re: A substitute for shoelace

Post by Bernie »

In the Complete Guide to Yin Yoga there are several options offered for Shoelace. Have you checked those? Here are the YinSight's versions:
  • Alternatives & Options to Shoelace:

If hips are tight, sit on a bolster to tilt them forward.
    If the bottom knee complains, do the pose with the bottom leg straight. If the top knee complains, place a bolster or blanket under that knee. If this is still too hard, sit cross-legged and fold forward.
    Support the chest with bolster.
    When folding forward, you can support the head with the hands, leaning the elbows onto the thighs or a block or bolster.
    Hands can be to the side or in front of the body, or stretch the arms back behind the body.
    If sensations are too intense in the hips or knees, remain upright or take more weight into the hands and arms.
    Side bends or twists can be added here, which work the Gall Bladder meridian along sides of the torso;
    Other alternatives include Eye-of-the-Needle Pose, Square Pose, or Swan.

Based on your experience, I would suggest you try Square Pose instead.

Cheers
Bernie
Skyland2001

Re: A substitute for shoelace

Post by Skyland2001 »

Hello Bernie
Sorry I *can't get into the shoelace. Thanks for the suggestions. I am doing square pose. I just wanted to see a stretch addressing abductors and outer thigh area.
Cheers