Active Waiting

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Lorien

Active Waiting

Post by Lorien »

Hello, Yin Sangha,

I wanted to share with you all some insights my students have been developing during their yin practices. Lately, I've had a few students show up who were recently diagnosed with cancer. I do work with a lot of cancer survivors, so this is not entirely unexpected. What's new for me is what their sharing about their yin practice: it helps them during those quiet moments.

You see, from that first scary screening, a cancer survivor has to do a lot of waiting... and they tell me that's when the anxiety, fear, depression, anger and sadness all tend to boil up and over for them. Practicing the "active waiting" that we do in yin class can be a helpful tool for these folks. Being with their breath and body for five minutes is so healthy. The sensations anchor their minds to the present moment and they turn away (at least for a little while) from the "what-ifs". It becomes a respite.

I've not had the same reaction to restorative practices. Actually, folks tell me the restorative practice (which is usually recommended for people in these circumstances) has too much silence and lacks the sensation to keep some people out of their thoughts. Not everyone, mind you, but a lot of people.

What a wonderful surprise that yin yoga can help people dealing with those anxious moments! And I will offer all the tools that I can for these folks.
Bernie

Yin Yoga's benefit for students with cancer

Post by Bernie »

Wow - that's great to know Lorien. Thanks for sharing.