yin and yang yoga

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
gregor

yin and yang yoga

Post by gregor »

Dear Bernie,

I enjoy both yin and yang, currently approaching Ashtanga.
After many years of doing yoga and also learning a lot i'm thinking about becoming a yoga instructor/teacher.
I would like to combine the Yin and Yang approach-
Do you know any profound teacher training that is providing both ways?
I like the Vinyasa of Shivananda, Ashtanga the crazy Bikram but i also like the creative Yang sequences of Sarah and Paul and the yoga approach of Paulie Zink.
There are teacher trainings of those classical styles, but it seems all just one concept that should fit everybody and there is no room for own sequence combinations. I know where i can learn a profound Yin teaching-but Yang-profound and playful?

Best regards,
gregor
Bernie

Where to get training as a teacher of both Yin and Yang?

Post by Bernie »

Big question! Where to do your yoga training? There is no "one" place that will give you all that you seek in one training. The standard approach today is to first get your basic Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) at a 200 hour level and then start to specialize after that. It is a bit like - first you get your high school diploma, then you go to college to specialize. There are many places you can get your YTT: I am sure that there are several offerings in your city. Make sure you get one that is well rounded and broadly based, if you want to go further later (ie: I would not start with an Ashtanga training until you have a 200 hour YTT). A Sivananda training would be a good basis. Several other schools require that you only do their style of yoga (skip Bikrams or Iyengar for now.)

As you probably know, Sarah does offer a Yin-Yang training but it expects that you have done a 200 hour YTT. If you are not aware of her Insight training, check her web site.

Good luck!
Bernie