Teaching various levels class

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
mathews

Teaching various levels class

Post by mathews »

Hi Bernie,

I've started teaching Yin at a studio that has beginning students and more advanced students coming to the same class. Any advice on how to sequence a class to accomodate both levels? If I hold the poses for longer than two minutes, it is too intense for the beginners and anything less than three minutes is too short for the advanced.

Thanks,
Roland
Bernie

teaching multiple levels

Post by Bernie »

Roland, it is possible to teach multiple levels in one class. In fact in Yin Yoga, it is probably easier than in other styles. The rule of thumb is ... beginners come out earlier, more experience students come out later.

I usually categorize students into Level 1, 2 or 3. Level 1 are beginners or folks just regaining their natural range of motion, or anyone who just wants to take it easy today for whatever reason. It really isn't me saying who is L1, it is the student. Level 3 are the flexible, experienced students who know just how far they can go. L2 are in between. I will often say to students, "if you are not sure if you are a Level 3 or not, you're not!"

L1 students can come out after one or two minutes or anytime they start to feel pain. (See the three principles of Yin Yoga ... Principle #2, come out if anything hurts!) You can and should offer easier variations for L1 and L2 students, or alternately, start with the easier variations first, then offer more challenging variations for L2 and L3 students.

You have lots of time, while the students are in the poses, to go around and see who is struggling. Go ask the student what she is feeling. If the pose is too much, have her come up, or out completely, or offer an easier variation.

A final note: some people are Level 1 for one pose but L3 for another! Don't short change students just because you think they can't do all the poses, give them the option, and then make sure they are listening to their bodies, not their egos.

Cheers
Bernie
mathews

Post by mathews »

Hi Bernie,

So if I hold L1 students for 1-2 minutes in the pose, what do you recommend they do as the L2 students are holding pose for 3-5 min. Should I give them another pose? Or if I am doing backbends and start with sphinx, then seal, then saddle - how would you sequence that in a multi-level class. Does L1 do sphinx 3 times vs. L2 start with sphinx but move into seal, and do saddle next?
Or if we are doing hip openers, L1 do dragon variations but L2 holds one dragon or goes into swan?
I am just trying to figure out how to sequence them as L1 students hold for less time and have fewer poses they can do...
Thanks,
Roland
Bernie

Multi-level classes

Post by Bernie »

What I usually do is not change the time for each level, but the difficulty. For example: start everyone in Sphinx. Remind everyone to come out whenever they feel they need to. Offer the easiest variation first (ie: if even Sphinx is too much, slide the arms further away, reducing the curve in the lower back.) Sphinx with the elbows under the shoulders is Level 1

After 1 or 2 minutes, offer two other variations - Level 2/3 students can try to put a bolster or block under the elbows, which will increase the lumbar arch. The other option: bend the knees and bring the feet to the buttocks. This will also increase the compression. Level 1 students can stay where they are, or come out for a while.

After 3 or 4 minutes, offer another variation - Level 3 students can come up to Seal pose. Level 2 students can stay where they are or come out. Level 1 students may want to come back now to Sphinx.

After 5 or 6 minutes everyone comes out and just lies still for a while before going to childs pose.

The same philosophy holds for the Dragons: Level 1 stays at the Baby Dragon level and come out and back in as necessary. Level 2 and 3 gradually go deeper.

My classes have a wide variety of students: I haven't heard that any of the L1 students feel bored by having to come out of the poses more than other people. They are just doing what they can, and enjoy the rest.

Cheers
Bernie