Hero pose and helping with knee pain

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Mickcope

Hero pose and helping with knee pain

Post by Mickcope »

Hi Bernie. ….
Canada seems soooo long ago now

You mentioned on the course (i think) how you used Hero pose and using a floor based desk to help with your knee damage.
I am trying that …. And it really seems to help. I just wondered why? What is going on in the knee to give this relief ? Is it just about creating space and mobilizing the synovial fluid?

Thanks. mick Cope
Bernie

Re: Hero pose and helping with knee pain

Post by Bernie »

Hi Mick. Nice to hear from you.

When I was originally introduced to the practice of sitting on the heels with dowling behind them I was told that it was creating space in the knees. This seems a lovely visualization, however, I am not sure that this was actually prying apart the femur and tibia. Rather, what I speculate is happening is that sitting on the heels requires full flexion of the knees, which creates a fair bit of stress all around the knee joint. Stress, to a limit, is healthy.

I think that hero pose and its variations are creating a healthy stress on the fascia of the knee (the retinacula, ligaments and tendons) which stimulates the fibroblasts to create more fascia, thickening and reinforcing the area, but also stimulating the cartilage's chondrocytes and helping to regrow and thicken that as well. And, yes — these same cells can secrete more lubricating synovial fluids too. As long as it is not painful, sitting on the floor and sitting on the heels can be very therapeutic.

Cheers
Bernie
Mickcope

Post by Mickcope »

Wonderful. Thanks Bernie
Mick
Mickcope

Post by Mickcope »

Bernie I apologise in advance for this. ... but sounds like a new model (And even a very small book)

- The 3S of Knee Management - Space, Stress and Synovial Fluid

Sorry ...
Mick
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

SSSSssss ... sounds like a snake or I sprang a leak ;-)