Alternative to Saddle Pose

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
ritalafaive

Alternative to Saddle Pose

Post by ritalafaive »

I love Saddle pose with props for my practice and for students. Actually Bernie and Diana helped me discover access to the pose during training.

But..... There are a few examples when I could not find a way to support the student (mainly knee related challenges) to find a nice quad sensation. They still feel pain sensations in the knees no matter how high I prop up their bottom. Any ideas? I have use of many props...the wall, sandbags, blocks, foam roller/bolster, etc.

Thanks! Rita from Michigan.

PS: There is now the first license plate in Michigan to say "Yinster" by one of my students. She was so excited to show me.
Bernie

Re: Alternative to Saddle Pose

Post by Bernie »

Hi Rita! Nice to hear from you.

For students who just can’t get comfortable in Saddle, I would suggest an alternative. Which alternative depends upon which areas you are targeting. If it is the quads, you could choose windshield wipers. Screaming Swan and Dragons can also get at the quads. If the targeted area was the hip flexors, you can try Supported Bridge.

Cheers
Bernie

ps - cool licence plate!
ritalafaive

Post by ritalafaive »

Thank you! Yes my goal was to have an alternative quad stretch. I love the idea of windshield wiper with some blocks maybe depending on the body.

Screaming swan/dragon are great too. I'll have those handy for other unique cases.

Anecdote of the week.... A student came to me and said that after she added yin to her weekly practice a couple of months ago, all of a sudden her Bikram practice changed. She was able to access poses she hadn't been able to though she religiously practices Bikram twice a week and has for 7 years.

Is it yin? I think so... :)

Have a great day
Rita
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Rita...thanks for the anecdote. I had a similar experience in my Ashtanga practice!
Bernie
kumarisky

Post by kumarisky »

Hi :) I'm not familiar with a pose called "screaming swan" what is it??
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

The screaming part is pulling the back foot to the buttocks. That is a lovely way to stress the quads. :D (See Swan for details.)
ann-britt@sternfeldt.se

Post by ann-britt@sternfeldt.se »

But is the windshield wipers really for the quads? For me it is for the lower back and hips.
Cheers Anna
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Anna

If while doing Windshield Wipers (WW) you feel nothing in your quads, then they are not a good posture for you. However, for me and many others, there is a lovely stress there. Functional yoga suggests having an intention for a pose (such as a targeted area to receive an appropriate amount of stress) and paying attention to ensure you are getting the stress where you want it. So, for you, don't do WW if you want to get to your quads. If your targeted area is the hips or lower back, then maybe WW is for you. What are you feeling? For me, I feel it all those areas. For you, you don't...cool. Find another pose that does create stress in that area: Swan/Pigeon, Low flying Dragons, King Arthur (shin up the wall with knee on the floor).

Cheers
Bernie