A question about Femoral version

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Skyland2001

A question about Femoral version

Post by Skyland2001 »

Hi everyone
This quick question interested me. Does the femoral version affect the hip rotation when it is flexed? If so how do anteversion and retroversion affect it?
Thanks
Bernie

Re: A question about Femoral version

Post by Bernie »

Quick questions often require the longest answers! The short answer is, “yes!”

For the full answer, I suggest you look at pages 110-114 and 124-151 in Your Body, Your Yoga. In general, femoral torsion can limit rotation of the neck of the femur in the hip socket due to contact (impingement or compression) between the neck of the femur and hip socket. This can happen in standing (hips neutral) or sitting (hips flexed). A femur with high rotation (anteversion) can internally rotate more than a femur with low rotation (retroversion), but higher anteversion can reduce external rotation while low anteversion (retroversion) increases external rotation. Generally, this effect is maximal when the hips are in neutral (i.e.: standing) but the more you flex your hips, the room you have for external rotation. You may find that you can externally rotate easier when you are sitting than standing, and more when folding forward in sitting than sitting upright. For example, notice how high your knees are off the floor when you sit tall in Butterfly compared to when you fold forward. The increased hip flexion gives more room for the neck of the femur to externally rotate before it impinges on the rim of the hip socket.

Again, see the book for the gory details as to why.
Skyland2001

Post by Skyland2001 »

Thanks Bernie
This answer is very satisfying and on point, although I may see the book for more information. Thanks
Cheers
Skyland2001

Post by Skyland2001 »

You meant 210-214, 224-251 right?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

No, I meant pages 110-114 and 124-151 in Your Body, Your Yoga.