Floor sitting

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Dennis63

Floor sitting

Post by Dennis63 »

Hello forum!
I am trying to sit more on the floor in order to become more flexible in my hips and lower body in general. However, after a short time, like 30 minutes or so in various position on the floor my back always tires and start to feel uncomfortable regardless of what position I choose. This has been a challenge since I startet this practice as a new years resolution :-) Over 50 years of sitting in a chair has convinced me that the floor is just as good a place to be for watching TV og reading etc.

Any advice how to be able to sit longer unsupported, or should I just lean against something and continue my sitting with my back supported when i says it has had enough. Will this hinder my pelvis from finding a natural position for example, or have other unhealthy side effects?

Any other advices on adapting to more floor sitting would be very welcome? I am convinced that we spend far to much time sitting in unnatural and to comfortable positions i chairs today. As I have read someone once said: The best sitting position is the next one....

Thanks in advance!
Bernie

Re: Floor sitting

Post by Bernie »

Great intention!

If a doctor asks you to take two aspirin and call her in the morning, she is not suggesting you take the whole bottle all at once!

After sitting in a chair for 50 years, don't over do the sitting on the floor. Try a yin attitude and go slowly. 15 minutes at a time may be perfect. Take rests. You didn't lose your flexibility overnight and you will not regain it overnight either. Build up to it over time. Don't worry about finding the perfect posture; try them all. Stay in one position for a couple of minutes, then move to another. As long as you are on the floor, your hips will open and your back strengthen. But, give your body time to adapt to this.

Good luck!
Bernie
Dennis63

Post by Dennis63 »

So true, and exactly why I fell for Ying meditation in the first place. But so easy to forget in the midst of it all :) Of course you are right.
ann-britt@sternfeldt.se

Post by ann-britt@sternfeldt.se »

Hi,
after reading that you adviced sitting on the floor Bernie I have been dedicated in doing that, doing all I did on a chair berfore sitting on the floor, eating, reading, watching movies, having a small table about 30 cm high and cusions to sit on. I have an armchair that I occasionally sit in when I feel I got a bit too tired of sitting. And this is amazing (I am 61 years old) as I have always been the person who disliked when friends wanted to go out caming and sit on the ground, I always wanted to bring a chair.
Anywy, I wonder now if you could spend too much time on the floor, well, we need to move as well, walk and do other stuff, but I am thinking of as now when I study for becoming a yoga teacher and read a lot, that I could spend too much time in for instance Siddhasana, is that good for the knees? I could feel a bit stiff when standing up after sitting for a while. Today I stand for a while instead in front of my adjustable desk after sitting for a while, and put the book on the desk to read. I would be happy to get some input on this matter.
Warm regards Anna
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Anna

Yes, certainly and unfortunately, we can do too much of anything. Too much sitting is definitely not great. We also need to get up and move. However, if you have to sit, then sitting on the floor is better than sitting in a chair. But, as you noticed, sometimes you just have to get up off the floor and sit in a chair for a while too. That can be a nice break.

As one doctor once said, "When I tell you to take two aspirin and call me in the morning, I don't mean to take the whole bottle!" No need to go overboard, find the middle way (remember Goldilocks!) A standing desk is also great, but you can overdo standing too. Avoid extremes and be happy. ;-)

Cheers
Bernie
ann-britt@sternfeldt.se

Post by ann-britt@sternfeldt.se »

It is funny how you sometimes know the answers yourself, but still like to ask :lol: